1/2 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 and 1/2 cup cornmeal
2 eggs (beaten)
1 and 1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons melted fat (or butter)
This is a very, very old recipe for 'griddle cakes'.
They were also called pancakes, flapjacks, flat cakes, and skillet cakes.
1. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
2. Add the cornmeal and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the beaten eggs, milk and fat (or butter) together.
Then add this to your flour mixture.
Mix everything together well.
4. Pour batter onto a hot, greased griddle, make your cakes about 4 inches around.
5. Turn the griddle cakes over when they are puffed and bubbly.
Cook on the other side.
Try your best to never turn your griddle cakes over but once!
Submitted By: Kim from WA on 2000-08-31