2 cups dried lima beans
6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon mustard
3 tablespoons molasses
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup boiling water
This is a very, very old recipe!
1. Cover the beans with cold water and let soak overnight.
2. The next day, drain the beans and cover with fresh water in a cooking pot.
3. Simmer until the beans are tender, then drain the beans and put the beans back into the pot.
4. Add the bacon.
5. In a bowl, mix the mustard, salt, pepper, sugar and ginger with the boiling water.
Then add in the molasses and mix well.
6. Pour this mixture over the beans.
The mixture should completely cover the beans, but if it doesn't add a little more boiling water.
8. Bake the bean mixture in a covered bean pot at 250 degrees for about 4 hours.
Stir occasionally and add water if it looks too dry.
9. After four hours, uncover the beans and raise your oven heat to 300 degrees.
Continue to bake until the beans are tender and browned on top.
Submitted By: Kim from WA on 2000-08-31