Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Aahhhh things that work!!
[Return to Topics]

~Lenore    Posted 03-15-2004 at 21:22:22       [Reply]  [No Email]
After much misery and itching and
having people stare and ask "What happened to you?"
I went on a concentrated on line search of poison ivy treatments.
Many different suggestions rubbing alcohol on it, washing with cold water, using soap...no soap. etc... Calomine lotion, Benedryl caps amd lotion and many other suggestions.

...but I have found relief!!!

I found several suggestions on line about hot water treatment. After more unbearable itching, I decided to try it. So I followed the directions and stepped into my shower and adjusted the water to warm. My poison ivy is concentrated on my chin, neck and upper chest. So I used the hand held shower head and sprayed the warm ater on the poison ivy. Gradually as instructed I increased the temp of the water to as hot as I could stand without burning my self. The heat makes the itching sensation increase to a point where you want to scream!! After about 4-5 minutes the itching disapears and the heat gets almost unbearable. That is when you need to stop, get out of the shower and gently pat skin dry. Guess what?!! no more itching! I went to bed and did not itch till morning! It is amazing!!

So I went back and researched that same site and read about some who used a hair drier for the heat treatment! So I decided to try that. My neck was beginning to itch to a point I wanted to scratch; so I went in to my dresser and turned my hair drier on and used it on my poison ivy; it has now been and hour and a half and no itching!!

Wonderful relief!! Thought I would pass this on for anyone else who may be unfortunate enough to get poison ivy, oak or summac.




VADAVE    Posted 03-16-2004 at 06:24:11       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Usually I just lurk but I think I have something to add to this one.
I get poison ivy really easy and the hot water works great AFTER it breaks out.
I have learned that if I suspect that I have been in contact with poison ivy and immediately wash really well with a strong clorine solution it will eliminate the poison or almost. But be careful that you don't get the solution on your clothes. If You can change your clothes first then wash. If you got poison on you it is also probably on your clothes.


Doc    Posted 03-16-2004 at 03:26:33       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yes ~Lenore, I've done the hot water thing for years. Heck of a sensation isn't it? Hurts sooooooo good! Probably what your dog feels when you scratch him and his leg getsa going 90 MPH. lol


TO35    Posted 03-16-2004 at 02:36:22       [Reply]  [No Email]
I use to get poison ivy and sumac quite a bit...always soaked in a tub of warm water with 1/2 gal of clorox added, helps dry out the sores and relieves itching, but there's still a 7 to 10 day period you going to have it till it completly goes away.
wish you well and hope it goes away quickly

TO


~Lenore    Posted 03-16-2004 at 07:10:16       [Reply]  [No Email]

I know what you mean about the dog thing it is a strange sensation, but the aftereffect is wonderful.
I wish I had known this years ago, think of the suffering I could have avoided.
TO, I agree it will still take the usual time to completely run its cycle;
but it will be a much more bearable time!!
I have posted the link to the site where I found this fabulous information. The medical sites I had searched did not tell me this good news!!


Try one more time    Posted 03-16-2004 at 07:12:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
to add that link.


Fern(Mi)    Posted 03-16-2004 at 04:07:56       [Reply]  [No Email]
`Tis good news, some folks got the dreaded Poison Ivy on the run!
TO how are the piano lessond coming?


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community