Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Insurance shopping saves big time!
[Return to Topics]

Willy-N    Posted 03-18-2004 at 06:56:01       [Reply]  [No Email]
I was depressed about my Fire Trucks 2 mil$ Liability Policy being 2,180.00 a year and did some shopping around. I found a better deal, same thing for $819.00 a year and now going to let them quote my other policys. A coulple days of shopping saved over $1,200.00 not bad for a few phone calls to the big city instead of our small town insurance guy! Mark H.

Alias    Posted 03-18-2004 at 14:10:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
Mark as long as the insurance certificate satisfies the government, don't worry if it's the cheapest. For, it doesn't matter whether you deal with a hometown representative or by mail, when it comes time to pay out, they all react the same. So, take the best deal you can get. And, with the savings, you can make a personal donation to the little league. Anyone who believes an insurance company will pay more readily because they have a local office, is overly naive....gfp

RusselAZ    Posted 03-18-2004 at 12:12:54       [Reply]  [Send Email]
but will they send you a birthday card? Do they support a little league team in your town? do they put advertising in your local paper? Do they sponsor a bowling team? Do they give to your local FFA or FHA? Do they do anything that helps your local community?

Umm, did you go back to your local agent with the other's policy and price and let him look thru it and try to met it? Or maybe more important, see why it was so much cheaper?

I've shopped for a lot of insurance in my time and my local independant agent still has it. Mostly for all those things I mentioned. Plus, I've found that there is always some problem with changing. Such as, One well known company wouldn't insure my house because the roof was more than 10 years old. Period. Another one, several years ago, wouldn't insure it because it was to far from a fire hydrant. After the city put in a new water line with a fire hydrant in my front yard as a neighborhood improvement they wouldn't insure my house without a flow test on the hydrant paid for by me. I don't jump thru many hoops before I lose interest. just a thought

Willy-N    Posted 03-18-2004 at 17:52:42       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have another Company that is supposed to be even cheaper and they have been doing the Water Tenders and Engines for our area for years and they are local. It depends who is covering you, some you even mention the word fire truck they go running not understanding what you do. I had one company say what if you can get your truck in and a house burns down because of it? I told them the house will burn down not my job to put out the house nor am I required to do it. They are thinking I am the one who put out the fire and if I can't get it out it is my fault and I should be insured to cover there homes??? Not even the Fire Dept does that! Mark H.

marlowe    Posted 03-18-2004 at 09:28:22       [Reply]  [No Email]
i shop every 6 mounths for my business ins. . any one that stays with a for more then a year is nuts. i have had 8 or 9 differnt and some repetes of ins. co in the last 7 years. ins. is about the most out of line thing out there and rates very a LOT . i only go with AAA companys and never had any co.refuse to insure me.i have 5 mill in coverage and pay less then 2200.00 a year. this is on a excavating business. SHOP AROUND it will suprise you

Small Town Agent    Posted 03-18-2004 at 08:51:35       [Reply]  [No Email]
Small town ins. guy? Never mind I woin't go there!!!

Willy-N    Posted 03-18-2004 at 10:52:32       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have asked him for quotes befor and 2 months later he still did not get them. I gave him 2 weeks on this one and he came back with 2,180.00+ and that was not a firm quote either. Mark H.

Jet9N    Posted 03-18-2004 at 07:37:29       [Reply]  [No Email]
Like the post below says, read it carefully. Make
sure that it is recognized by the powers that be.
I know when I was in the army some companys were
not recognized by the govt.

Got to keep the lawyers happy.


screaminghollow    Posted 03-18-2004 at 07:19:47       [Reply]  [No Email]
wise thing to do. About every five years, I take my policies and premium bills around to other agents and invite them to try to do better. A word of advice though. When dealing with companies that have no agents, the folks who answer the phone don't care if they are comparing apples and oranges when they give quotes. Make sure you are getting the same coverage and identical exclusions. For instance, last year my farm insurance policy had a new provision slipped in about food poisoning, and illnesses from sale of milk, eggs, and vegetables. So anyone who sells eggs, milk, or veggies off the farm is no longer covered for liability from food born illnesses. The law in most states is that if you regularly sell or advertise a product for sale, you are in the business of selling that product and are liable for any injury that product causes. ie, you sell a few dozen eggs a month and some one gets salmonella poisoning from your eggs. Under state law, you are probably liable and under my farm policy, you wouldn't be covered. We are about to take several lambs to market, if it turns out that one or two of them have scrapies (despite all our precaution0 or perhaps it hasn't been long enough since administration of certain drugs, and the end consumer gets sick from the lamb chops, we're in a heap of trouble, if it is traced back to our farm.

Willy-N    Posted 03-18-2004 at 08:21:44       [Reply]  [No Email]
This is Contractors General libility Insurance and has to meet the standards and the Goverment has to be given a copy and underwrited in it. Mark H.

screaminghollow    Posted 03-18-2004 at 11:12:10       [Reply]  [No Email]
I think the same still applies. Here is PA you have to have certain minimum car insurance, but what you get, doesn't always give what you need. Do you want 5k or 100k in medical coverage, do you want collision and comprehensive, what deductible. Etc. What about Uninsured motorist coverage if some cluck with no insurance hits you. Will it pay for the damage if your vehicle is totalled? What if the clown only has 5k in coverage, will your insurance pay for the rest of the vehicle? Do you also need underinsured motorist coverage? In Maryland home improvement contractors have to carry certain statutory minimum insurance, but the required worker's compensation coverage won't cover the owner, unless he files a special form with the Worker's Compensation Commission. Statutory minimum coverage can be compared clothing someone with a fig leaf, shorts or pants depending on the company.

Willy-N    Posted 03-18-2004 at 12:13:00       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have 100K med and 1 million uninsured motor too on the policy. To many don't have insurance would not be with out it. Mark H.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community