Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Drinking water
[Return to Topics]

vern    Posted 03-21-2004 at 19:38:12       [Reply]  [Send Email]
hello all, i am writing to ask a question about using bleach to clean a well. for the last 2 years i have been having more health problems than ever in my life. what im wondering is , is if anyone knows about using bleach to clean a well is a good thing or not. i have heard through other tenants in the trailer park that the landlord has been using bleach about 2-3 times a year to clean the bacteria out of our well. the big problem with this is he does not let anyone know when he does this and i think he has been poisoning us with this method. from what i read you are suppose to run youre water till no smell of bleach after letting the bleach set in well for 24 hours. does anyone know what kind of health problems bleach may cause. all i know is ive never been this ill in my entire life as i have living here in this park. any innfo or advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you


Michele in VA    Posted 03-23-2004 at 19:52:08       [Reply]  [No Email]
I agree with the other writers: it's not the bleach; it's the crap the landlord is occasionally killing with the bleach. And on those between-killing times, you are drinking God knows what. You might spend $25 and get two different kinds of water test kits (super easy) from the local home improvement store. Our spring failed for e-coli. You could also look into attaching a 5 micron filter below your kitchen sink. This would clean out most dirt. We don't drink our water, but I do cook with it. And we also brush our teeth with it.


Red Dave    Posted 03-22-2004 at 10:47:03       [Reply]  [No Email]
You would smell chlorine in the water even in very small concentrations if anybody put it in the well water. The standard way to do it around here is to shock the well with a gallon of Clorox in about 3 or 4 gallons of water dumped down the well, run water until you smell it at the tap, then let it stand overnight. The next day run it off to waste until the smell is gone. If somebody used this method on your water supply you would sure know it when you ran water.
I would be suspicious of the reason why it has to be repeated several times a year, rather than just blame the chlorine. Your problems may be due to whatever it is the landlord is trying to kill. I would wonder if groundwater or a leaking sewage system is getting into the well.
Chlorine disinfection is still one of the best ways to kill bacteria in water, but if it has to be done repeatedly, maybe somebody needs to look into the root of the problem, not just treat the symptoms. The local health department should be able to advise you on how to test the water, and may even do it for you.


Fern(Mi)    Posted 03-22-2004 at 04:37:35       [Reply]  [No Email]
gotta go with TB with this, And, one better.
I think I mightbe taking water samples to my local health department (county) for testing.


Dave Munson    Posted 03-21-2004 at 19:56:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
Wonderful stuff bleach (SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE). Kills almost all living organisms on this planet.
-----
From the Clorox site (http://www.clorox.com/health/disaster/disaster5.html) they tell "How to Purify Drinking Water". At the least ask the guy how much
-----------------
http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/health/environmental/drinking_water/well_disinfect.jsp

Private Well Disinfection Directions

-----
I think it will clean you out real good for very low doses. Larger doses it will mess you up.


--------
from an msds found on-line------------
EYES:CONTACT WITH LIQUID OR VAPORS MAY PRODUCE MODERATE TO SEVERE IRRITATION.

SKIN CONTACT:MAY RESULT IN BLISTERING AND IRRITATION.

INHALATION:VAPORS MAY CAUSE BRONCHIAL IRRITATION, COUGHING PULMONARY EDEMA.

INGESTION:MAY CAUSE BURNING SENSATION & CORROSION OF MUCOUS MEMBRANES, VOMITING.

Emergency/First Aid Proc: EYES:FLUSH THOROUGHLY WITH RUNNING WATER FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES. SKIN:RINSE THOROUGHLY WITH RUNNING WATER. INHALATION: IFEFFECTS OCCUR, REMOVE VICTIM TO FRESH AIR. IN ALL INSTANCES GET PROMPT MEDICAL ATTENTION


TB    Posted 03-21-2004 at 19:52:52       [Reply]  [No Email]
Vern I am not sure about the effects of bleach. But if a well being used that much requires treetment that often I think I would consider anouther sorce of drinking water for the time being.


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community