Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

House Buying ? -- Black Mold - Basement rm.
[Return to Topics]

Wallsal55    Posted 04-26-2004 at 11:31:51       [Reply]  [No Email]
My daughter wants to buy a home built 1962.
It sits on corner lot at bottom of slope. Sellers
claim it had water in it one year after a deluge.
Since that year, the city has done major storm
sewer renovations for that area of town.
The house is OK in every way, except the one
corner. They never fixed it or repaired the
little crack where the water seeped in. There
is a little room about 4 X 8 where their is a potting/workshop table, pegboard and wooden
shelves for canning jars. There is black mold
on the 3 rooms in this little room.
Can that black mold be removed? (I know once
it has started it's hard to get stopped and keep
it from coming back.)
Can it be requested the owners fix this before
it sold? Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks.


sid    Posted 04-26-2004 at 16:55:39       [Reply]  [No Email]
I vote with those who say walk away. Little cracks get bigger. I do not think a lender will carry a loan untill the problem is fixed. I know the seller is responsible for a lot of stuff I do not know if they can be made to fix it unless it is an FHA loan.


rhouston    Posted 04-26-2004 at 13:52:52       [Reply]  [No Email]
we've seen quite a bit of news here in N.Y. about the black mold. not all black molds are the same. Some are very dangerous to babies and small children. If it were me unless I couldn't live without the house I'd keep looking. You can always find someone to test it for you but may cost you money. If it's just mildew then bleach it and get a dehumidifier. One person over in Wellsville had his whole family removed from a black mold infested trailer. Blamed it for his young sons health problems. The Health department wouldn't let them remove anything from the home other than themselves and the clothes on their backs. I don't know what happened to the trailer last I heard it was to be destroyed contents and all.


RedTail    Posted 04-26-2004 at 12:57:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
The true health effects of black mold (stachybotris) are not well documented and are dubious. However, there is alot of fear and hoopla about this mold to the point that it will affect the value of the home. Remediation is very expensive and is more than just washing with bleach. We had a school with it here that cost the taxpayers 2 million to remediate. I would advise them to walk away from this one.


dogbardave    Posted 04-26-2004 at 23:58:43       [Reply]  [No Email]
bleach treatment...I talked w/a mold mitigation guy at a conference and told him that I had done that for a black mold problem in my kitchen.

He said what happens when that is done is that the mold senses danger and shoots out its spores...so unless you have containment (e.g., plastic all over to wall off the spores,) all them little escape mold pods go all over creation.


WallSal55    Posted 04-27-2004 at 07:12:50       [Reply]  [No Email]
Maybe that's why Scrubbing Bubbles works so well
in the Bathroom--those little spores can't get
away!


bob ny    Posted 04-26-2004 at 11:49:53       [Reply]  [No Email]
most mortgage companys in new york state will not give you a mortgage if there is mold in the house and they have to see the inspection report


dogbardave    Posted 04-26-2004 at 11:47:58       [Reply]  [No Email]
mold can be a health problem for those it affects...wierd statement, but all mold doesnt' affect people the same way. It may have no impacts or big impacts. Just depends on the person's allegries.

My guess is that to properly repair this water damage issue is to dig out all around the basement, put up a water barrier, and then some kind of drain system to move the water away from the house. Since the home is on the bottom of hill, drainage will be an issue. Hopefully, most of it's taken care of...?

I have a friend who rented a place on a foundation, and water pooled under the home, and mold just ruined most of their goods..clothes, piano, everything. It was a mess.

Good luck!


Red Dave    Posted 04-26-2004 at 11:42:24       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'd be leery of that house. Mold is becoming a serious problem some places. Some people have very bad allergic-type reactions to it, some don't notice it at all. Hate to buy a house and find out later it's making you sick.
I've heard of mold being inside walls, not seen and nobody knew it was there until it started causing problems.
Could be expensive to fix. If I was the seller, I'd want to fix it so I didn't have the liability for it later. How that works varies from state to state, don't know how real estate sellers liability works where you are.


Clipper    Posted 04-26-2004 at 11:38:45       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'd say get a estimate from a reputable local contractor to repair the damage to the house....then ask the seller to reduce the selling price for that amount OR have the seller pay the contractor to do the repair PRIOR to the closing....

As for the black mold....a good spray down with Clorox bleach and ventilate the area well... should take care of that problem...


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community