Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

I got poison ivy in the winter !!!!!!!!!
[Return to Topics]

BOSS    Posted 02-26-2002 at 15:52:28       [Reply]  [No Email]
I can't believe it !!
The ivy vines are getting realy bad here and there is poison ivy everywhere, so every time I go out into our woods, I cut the vines going up into the trees. Right at the base of the tree where the vine starts to climb the tree. Well I was chopping a vine about 5-6 inches in diameter and a piece flew up and hit me on the eyebrow and nose.....sure enough, little itchy bumps!!!!!
All this in 20 degree weather. Man, I can't win. But I'll have the last laugh come spring when there are no more vines killing the trees.


Sure kill on them itchy vines- cheap too    Posted 02-27-2002 at 12:45:38       [Reply]  [Send Email]
For years our tobacco barn had the north side covered with the stuff. An oldtimer told me to cut all the vines just above the ground then splash a little bit of gasoline on the fresh cut. Sure enough- 2 years later and still no return.
Some of the vines were 4 inches thick too. You really don't need anything but that gas can on hand.


Salmoneye    Posted 02-27-2002 at 07:34:31       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I had what I consider 5 'serious' cases of PI last year and the last was in December from cutting an oak with one small vine hidden in the cracks of the bark.

The 'industrial' Brush Roundup works well if applied like Tom suggested. Wait till the new growth starts and wet the vines/leaves...


Tom A    Posted 02-27-2002 at 07:13:41       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Yep, the sap is toxic any time of year.

I've found a good way to kill it for good is to cut it as you have, and then catch it just as it starts to grow back in the spring and spray it with commercial poison ivy killer. It takes less of the stuff to be effective at that time than any other, so you don't need gallons of it.

Tecnu works well--we've used it for several years now.

Finally, a plug for getting goats. My guys eat poison ivy like it is a rare delicacy, searching it out. They also prefer wild rose and honeysuckle to almost anything else, which has made my life a little easier since we got them a couple of years ago. Just don't 'pet' them when they've been eating the poison ivy, as the poison will transfer from their fur to your hand and you'll get the blisters. Oh yeah, don't spray the poison if you're going to let the goats browse there!

enjoy,
Tom


Les...fortunate    Posted 02-27-2002 at 06:34:49       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'd be getting rid of that stuff ASAP. What you've cut is just going to grow back unless you kill it. Get yourself a chemical to put on the freshly cut surfaces, otherwise your solution is only temporary.
As an arborist, I have access to chemicals. I'm not sure what you might be able to find in your farm/garden/hardware store but I bet they have something.
Poison ivy is bad stuff for some people. My mother had it years ago in the winter. We figure it must have come from the hay. She could hardly walk for a month, her legs were so bad with it.


LarryAJ    Posted 02-26-2002 at 17:45:50       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Boss, you would be "safer" to take a bow saw to those vines. That is what I do - well sometimes it's the chain saw BUT I use the top side so the chips fly away from me - GOT to be VERY careful doing that so saw does not jump at you.

I have found that the large vines, say 1" and bigger (I've had some as big as my arm!) will die when they are cut as low to the ground as you can get. BUT the littler ones seem to almost like getting cut. They grow back with a vengence!

HATE that @#$%^&*(! ivy. I have places where it is just growing out in the middle of an open field. Unless it is mowed it will grow up several feet on it's own. And I have some fence posts that look like trees from the ivy growing out and up from them.

There is a product called Technu that will lessen the affects of ivy. Even keep you from getting a rash if you up it to wash vairly soon after you have an exposure. I just did a Google search and found Gemplers carries it so you can read about it. Link below.


John Ne.    Posted 02-26-2002 at 21:31:49       [Reply]  [Send Email]
you can also get poison ivy from firewood that had ivy on it, and from the wood chips of the ivy vine, even heard the smoke can cause some horrible swelling, if one stands in it too long.John in Ne.


CactusJack    Posted 02-27-2002 at 08:14:16       [Reply]  [No Email]
I've had experience with the poison ivy smoke. Gathered some brush for a campfire that must have been in contact with ivy, and since I'm REALLY susceptible to it I had to go get a steroid injection several days later and take 'roids for a week after my eyes swelled half shut. Not my idea of fun.


shaun    Posted 01-29-2006 at 16:58:08       [Reply]  [Send Email]
????? can you get poison ivy,sumac,oak in the winter i was out with my friend geting logs for his house wood burning stove and the one had a hairy vine looking thing on it well i dont know exactly what it is but i heard that it is some type of poison is it active in the winter. i ask you this because this evening i found 4 itching bumps one my arm by my hand


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community