Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

[Return to Topics]

Leo    Posted 05-08-2004 at 02:37:02       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Hello Americans and Canadians!

Some time ago on this message-board someone wrote a posting about straving horses.:

\quote\ ========================================
Posted by cowgirlj on November 23, 2002 at 09:43:20 from (

In Reply to: straving horses posted by ger on November 22, 2002 at 22:36:32:

The link works. I too have checked this out. Emailed the lady and she gave me the same www. address. There should be no spaces:
I am donig a little investigating from here and will let anyone who is interested know.

That's how I found this site: I searched the internet for that word 'straving', which comes in a text that I must translate for a client.

Would you be so kind to explain to me, what the word means, it's nowhere to be found on the internet or bilingual dictionary.
If it has a meaning in a technical context, that would be the meaning I am looking for: it occurs in a technical text about steel tubing.

Kind Regards,

Leo te Braake
Technical translations from English > Dutch
and from German > Dutch.
Specialised in chemistry, chemical engineering, process technology or food processing related texts
Westerpark 83
NL5042 MH Tilburg
The Netherlands
Tel. +31 (0)13 468 45 21

Salmoneye    Posted 05-08-2004 at 03:21:12       [Reply]  [No Email]
I am sure that the message you are referencing here should have been 'Starving' horses...Not 'straving'...Typographical error at best (I think)...


'Strave' in Greek is 'Crooked' or 'Not straight'...

Hope this helps...

Leo    Posted 05-08-2004 at 04:20:08       [Reply]  [Send Email]
crooked.. That COULD be it, if my dictionary serves me well.
Has this in a technical sense about the same meaning as corrugated? If yes, it's OK: it fits the text.

Thanks so far, Salmoeye!

Leo (almost gone fishing...)

Salmoneye    Posted 05-08-2004 at 04:39:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
Wish I could help more, but I only found the reference to 'strave' in a Greek/English dictionary...I do not know if there is a 'technical' aspect to that definition...

Do you know any Greek metalurgists you can call on the phone? LOL

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community