Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Poison Ivy??
[Return to Topics]

SeaJ    Posted 05-18-2004 at 19:46:21       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Anyone know what good for poison ivy itch? IF thats even what I have. I break out with red VERY itchy bumps every spring through fall. When I scratch it spreads but it itches sooo bad I can't NOT scratch. Dr put my on allergy meds for it but apparently thats not what it is. A couple of people told me it could be poison ivey which I get from the dogs. If thats what it is I might as well get used to it with these dogs around.Can't get rid of my babies but there HAS to be something for the itchies...


bulldinkie    Posted 05-19-2004 at 08:16:03       [Reply]  [Send Email]
yep I got her too.All over armsI wore rubber gloves.Like lenore said put under hot water first,as hot as you can stand it.pat dry ,put rubbing alcohol on it.Best Ive found.I got it 3 times in my life sooo bad I looked like something from night of the living dead.I went to specialist once he said bleach soaked towelets.


Bkeepr    Posted 05-19-2004 at 04:28:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
We use some stuff called Technu. You can use it two ways, and it works well for us.

Best case is to use it when you know you've been exposed, but before there's a rash. It'll keep the rash from even coming up.

Second-best is to use it when the rash has formed. It gives some relief from itching, but is really good at keeping it from spreading, too.

We got the first bottle years ago after a friend who was a telephone lineman recommended it. Always keep it around now.

Second suggestion: get some goats and let 'em run where your poison ivy is. Ours love poison ivy, eat it like it is going out of style. Used to be our place was infested with it, but now it is pretty rare and only shows up where the goats aren't!

good luck,
Tom A


KevinD    Posted 05-19-2004 at 04:17:47       [Reply]  [Send Email]
SeaJ,

Funny you would mention poison ivy, I made contact with it just yesterday.

I was pulling some "weeds" just outside my garden. About the time I grabbed it, I said--"oops, that's poison ivy." So--I went and washed my hands real well. Thought I did anyway. Later in the day I rubbed my eye and bingo--I hadn't washed my hands nearly as well as I thought I had. My eye got really red, puffy and itchy. I took a shower and flushed it with cold water. It's cleared up for the most part now, but it still itches. I would say that I'm "mildly" allergic to poison ivy, I can't imagine how bad it might by for someone that's really allergic to it.

When I was reading up on it yesterday, one common theme I noticed was to immediatley get out of all of your clothes and bath well. It seems that poison oil just hangs around and people often keep contaminating themselves by inadvertantly touch the oil that might be on clothes, boots, pets, etc...

I'll wear gloves next time I decide to pull weeds. LOL


One word...    Posted 05-19-2004 at 03:10:43       [Reply]  [No Email]
Sweetfern...

Take either fresh or dried leaves and stems and make a 'tea'...The stuff smells incredible and is very 'uplifting' just from the odor...

Either dab the tea on the affected areas with cotton balls, a washrag dampened with the tea, or what I have done...Just our it on yourself in the shower...

Sweetfern can also be used for any contact dermatitis, acne, dandruff, eczema and psoriasis...Basically any skin condition...

The 'tea' will last for monthes in the fridge, and the dried plant (pull the whole thing and hang by the roots in celler or barn) will last all year till you can find some fresh again...

I always have some on hand as I am not smart enough to wear long sleeves and pants when brush-hogging...Trust me...You do NOT want to see me after vaporizing acres of Poison Ivy...

Not pretty...

Not that I am much to look at to begin with...



Vic in Kenefick    Posted 05-18-2004 at 21:58:25       [Reply]  [No Email]
If you all are running out of posion ivy we will be glad to send you a few tons. We got plenty.

I break out really bad but mine seems to be from being in the sun that puts hives on me. I am looking for a good sun screen some where around an SPF 9000.

Like Lenore said a good hot bath helps but I have also found that if you get in the shower with a full pint of Jack Daniels you wont itch as much when you go to bed either........LOL


KellyGa    Posted 05-18-2004 at 20:08:19       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have that breaking out thing on my legs too. I believe I have a grass allergy that I didn't used to have. Everytime I go out in shorts, sit around in the grass, or mow the grass, I get these itchies. I break out in hives sorta.

I get some hydrocortisone lotion, not cream, and spread it on my legs. My dad also swears by calamine lotion, says it dries it up faster.


~Lenore    Posted 05-18-2004 at 20:00:42       [Reply]  [No Email]
Hot water treatment if it is poison ivy.
Get in the shower and let the water get as hot as you can stand it and stay in it as long as you can. when you get out gently ppat dry, not rub. You will have 4 -8 hours with no itching. During the day a hand held blow dryer will work, too. Hold it on the rash and endure as long as you can. It stops the itching and helps heal it faster. Yes you can catch it from your dogs.

I have suffered from it since I was about six years old. I wish my mom had known about the water treatment. Since I have found out about it; I have had two cases of it. Both cleared up in a few days and I did not itch like I had for years. Try it! Scroll down and read the testimonies, that is how I found out about it. Since I found this site I will never suffer and be miserable again!!


~Lenore    Posted 05-19-2004 at 07:30:29       [Reply]  [No Email]
Tech-nu is the only commercial product I use since I found out about the water treatment.
As soon as I suspect I may have contacted poison ivy I run in and use the tech-nu on my hands, face and arms with cool water to wash off the poison ivy oils.

I get totally NO relief from any creams or sprays to relieve the itching. The hot water or dryer treatments do stop the itching and spreading.


Herb    Posted 05-19-2004 at 23:01:10       [Reply]  [No Email]
I've found that a little bleach in bath water is good if you think you were exposed and not breaking out yet. If you do this they say cool water is better than hot because the pores don't open up as much.


~Lenore    Posted 05-20-2004 at 06:26:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yes as a preventative cool water is best before it breaks out. Bleach I cannot handle, cannot stand the smell. The hot water/shower really does work, it is like a miracle. As a former sufferer I know of what I speak. Since I learned this I do not suffer any more.


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community