Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Proper term?
[Return to Topics]

JDK    Posted 07-14-2004 at 11:31:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
All my life we have referred to the back pack firefighting tanks and wand/pump as "Indian Can" because of the Indian Logo and name embossed on the tanks years ago.If you were burning brush or such the DNR would lend you 1 or 2"Indian Cans" to maintain control of the fire. Is there a proper generic "name" for these units that one could use to"shop for" one in want ads etc?

Nathan    Posted 07-14-2004 at 19:48:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
We call 'em backpack pumps. Here's a link to the Indian. Kinda pricey though!

JDK    Posted 07-14-2004 at 22:13:41       [Reply]  [No Email]
Thanx found em at "FireEnd" too but a tad higher.They do show a hard plastic tank similar unit at $100.Gonna try and hunt up a used one.

Les    Posted 07-14-2004 at 15:44:21       [Reply]  [No Email]
We allus called 'em Indian pumps. Never heard 'em called "cans", Indian or otherwise.

TB    Posted 07-14-2004 at 16:24:04       [Reply]  [No Email]
What we really called them after a couple of hours of toten them around? I don't think I'am allowed to post that here.

TB    Posted 07-14-2004 at 14:52:44       [Reply]  [No Email]
If the tank was made by the Indian co. Indian tank is jusy fine also known as pump tanks. AS Fawteen said the new bladder packs are the cats *** our fire Co. has several and some with foam enjector nozzels. Once you ware one of them the metel cans generally stay onthe truck anymoore.

Fawteen    Posted 07-14-2004 at 13:38:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
Here in the Politically Correct Gouldsboro Fire Department, we calls 'em "Back Tanks".

Seen the new canvas/plastic ones? WAAAAAY more comfy to carry. No lighter, unfortunately...

toolman    Posted 07-14-2004 at 11:38:22       [Reply]  [No Email]
not sure what they would be called now , here in canada i guess it would have to be first nations can.

Bob/Ont    Posted 07-14-2004 at 13:21:09       [Reply]  [No Email]
I think "Native Can" Toolman.
Later Bob

toolman    Posted 07-14-2004 at 14:49:42       [Reply]  [No Email]
long as they got a can bob.

JDK    Posted 07-14-2004 at 11:49:20       [Reply]  [No Email]
Prolly right in this PC world,however the ones I recall had the logo and name embossed in the metal,as mfg was "Indian Pump Co" or "Indian Mfg Co" or such.I'm sure no slight was intended toward the north american aboriginals.

This was back in the pre PC days when healthy high school boys were often called on for fire fighting duty manpower.Spent many an hr trudging along behind the firebreak cat/plow for $1.25hr.

toolman    Posted 07-14-2004 at 11:59:08       [Reply]  [No Email]
yup me too, used to try and empty them as fast as i could just to lightin the load when climbing slopes straight up and down, wasn,t much water on the top of the mountains when we would get up there,guess thats why they give everybody shovels nowadays lol.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community