Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Dry charged batteries
[Return to Topics]

?Mark    Posted 07-28-2004 at 20:10:59       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I am a battery man.I have my own warehouse and distribute in a 5 state area around Kansas.My question to is: Does anybody miss the old days of being able to get a dry charged battery,keep it on the shelf,and activate it when you need it?I talk with lots of people who miss having that available.Wet batts have a shelf life issue.They need to be kept charged and the consumer should be aware of the ship date on the battery.On the other hand,mass production of wet batteries have driven the wholesale/retail price of lead acid batteries down to where for the last 10 years or so a 5 year battery retails for 28.00 to 35.00. I remember in high school,winter 1980,I had to buy a new battery for my pickup.It was a 5 year side terminal battery group 74.The cost ,on special at our Western Auto store,was $59.95. A better battery today can be purchased for 29.95 almost anywhere.Also depressing retail pricing is the recent boom in importation of Asian batteries.Just some questions as I am always looking for new markets/ideas.I keep a dry garden tractor battery and 2 qts of electrolyte in my shop at home just in case my generator batterty shoots craps in waist deep snow or some such thing. Mark


Lazy Al    Posted 07-29-2004 at 11:45:10       [Reply]  [No Email]
Mark, A while back on this site there was some talk about a wave generator to restore old dying batteries But I dont' ever remember what the out come was on them . Like if you have an old battery That won't hold a charge you put it on this Wave generator and it would put new life in it for another year or so .
You know any thing a bout it ???
Al


Mark    Posted 07-29-2004 at 13:21:09       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Yes,they work to a certain degree.A company named VDC Electronics out of New Jersey makes a couple of devices.They are maintainers as opposed to chargers.They are called Solargizer and Battery Minder. The Solargizer is,of course,powered by a small solar panel and the Battery Minder is 120VAC powered.Both do an amazing job of restoring longevity to marginal batteries.They use a low amperage square wave of electricity sent into the battery to "scrub"the plates clean of sulphation.I have ran tests in my shop using the Solargizer on glass cased batteries.It is not a fast process,but, day by day we could se the plates becoming claner and upon load testing the battery found it getting stronger.I put a Solargizer on my new Dodge diesel pickup truck right from the start.The new factory batteries tested at 780 cca.Now,after 4 years and 170k miles they are testing at 903 cca.The product works.They will cost about the same as a new battery,but if you gain one battery's life worth,you're making money from then on.You can find them and a dealer at vdcelectronics.com Also,there are a bunch of wannabe products out there but in our experience(I sell over 500 of them a year)we have'nt found one to compare them to in terms of performance.Have a great afternoon. Mark


Al    Posted 07-29-2004 at 18:52:17       [Reply]  [No Email]
Thanks Mark .
I think I might envest in one one of these days
I must have 15 old batteries around here and If I can get some life out of some of the bigger ones It might be worth it .
Al


JDK    Posted 07-28-2004 at 23:50:01       [Reply]  [No Email]
I just get dang tired of buying(dry charged)small garden tractor batteries,having to pay as much for them as a car battery and having them crap out in 1-2 yrs max.Of course the tractor mfg equipping the unit with the smallest and cheapest battery and a holder too small for a "real" battery only irks me more.


Mark    Posted 07-29-2004 at 05:00:27       [Reply]  [Send Email]
There are a couple of things you can do to get a longer life from those OE dry batteries(or replacement motorcycle batteries.First tip is when you fill the dry battery for the first time,let the battery soak up the electrolyte for at least an hour before you hit it with a charger.If you don't,there is a good chance of having a dry spot in the plates and an early charge will actually melt out that spot on a plate.Another tip is to be sure those batteries are fully charged going into winter(seasonal equipment)and disconnect the negative cable to gaurd against a drain on the battery. Have a great day. Mark


deadcarp    Posted 07-28-2004 at 22:11:24       [Reply]  [No Email]
Sounds like you have the situation pretty well surrounded mark -i can tell you one thing - don't EVER try to rinse the acid outa a battery, cut it apart and re-melt the lead with a buncha wheel-weights in a frying pan on the kitchen stove. We had lead drips on the range hood (and everything else within 10 feet) when that thing went off! Just by luck i wasn't standing there right then. And all that for maybe 3 more free cast bullets. :)
In any endeavor, it's good to experiment and use that ounce of extra knowledge to increase your slice of the pie. They claim all bad batteries aren't bad, they're just misguided - true saying. Our neighbor gets "returned store" batteries, flash-charges them back to life (with an almost-welder) and sells them without labels for $10-25. They last a couple years and everybody feels good. He's made his living that way for 20 years now. :)


Mark    Posted 07-29-2004 at 04:52:24       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Right you are! Water and molten lead don't mix.When I was young,I worked in a battry plant.One time a lead pot broke open and spilled 2 tons of molten lead onto the surrounding floor of the plant,just after one of those big floor scrubbing machines had gone by.The resulting explosion of molten lead sent some to the hospital and a couple to the undertaker,if I remember correctly! Just wheel weights are ok to melt.Just PLEASE,don't breathe any of the fumes and melt em outside.That smoke is way bad for you and yours!Have a great day. Mark


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community