Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Old wood stoves can be easy to use.
[Return to Topics]

PCC-AL    Posted 04-05-2002 at 18:01:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
After Opal hit (the storm, not an ex wife)it knocked down the chimney on top of the old kitchen. Mama and Daddy were in their last years so I didn't replace the chimney, I just covered it over to prevent leaks. The old wood stove was piped into the old chimney so it could no longer be used. When I restored the kitchen, I moved the wood stove out on to the screen porch where there is no chimney or easy access for a stove pipe. I still wanted to use it once in a while, but didn't want to incur lots of expense for stove pipe, etc. I converted it to propane without damaging the stove. I used an old burner from a propane heater and placed it in the fire box with two bricks for supports. I connected it with standard copper pipe to fit running through a vent hole. The gas burner heats the entire stove, just like wood, but less work and no ashes. If I ever decide to revert to wood, there is no problem as the stove has not been modified.
Maybe someone can use this idea also. Good luck.


DeadCarp - overheating?    Posted 04-06-2002 at 03:57:34       [Reply]  [No Email]
I can picture how you rigged the burner, but how did you vent the mess enough to prevent overheating it? Those cast burners can only take so much, and the supply line/regulator have to be in room air & shielded, otherwise surprise..


PCC-AL    Posted 04-06-2002 at 15:51:49       [Reply]  [No Email]
Hi DC,
Overheating was not a problem as I used a burner from one of those little bathroom heaters. The little burner is about 10 - 12 inches long. It doesn't put out a lot of heat and the stove takes a while to heat up. I have it hooked to a small bottle with it's own adjustable regulator that I also use on my fish cooker. You're right about being careful, I always lean to the cautious side of most everything I do. Good luck.


Sammie    Posted 04-05-2002 at 19:03:57       [Reply]  [No Email]
You have been reading my mind when you posted this post!!! lol Just yesterday I was looking for sites about converting to propane or natural gas and wondering if I would have to change stoves. That would be out of the budget. Just out of curiosity, why did you chose propane over natural gas? If I converted to propane or Ngas, I'd have to run the tubing quite a ways to get to the woodstove. Does that matter?


Robin Hood    Posted 04-06-2002 at 14:53:26       [Reply]  [No Email]
I don't know where you live, but I know of places in eastern Pa and NH that do the conversions and have oodles of parts


PCC-AL    Posted 04-06-2002 at 02:47:31       [Reply]  [No Email]
I didn't use natural gas because we don't have any available. The nearest town with natural gas is about 30 miles away. I have large propane tanks for the house and I could have tapped the line, but it was easier to just use a propane bottle.
In your situation, I don't think the length of tubing will make any difference, but you will need a cutoff somewhere convenient to the stove to regulate the flame and turn off the gas. The burner you use must be correct for either natural gas or propane. Each uses a different size orifice. Good luck.


Bob /Ont.    Posted 04-05-2002 at 19:01:16       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Hi Pcc in Bama. Your story reminds me of one I heard years ago, about a long since departed couple who bought and ran a long since departed general store in our presently being overgrown small town. When they moved in they hooked up the stove pipes from their Findly Oval cookstove to the chimney opening in the wall. As night approached they lite the stove and enjoyed the warmth. The next morning the fellow went out to the well and pumped a pail of water, then looked up to see smoke coming out of the shingles. Seems the chimney they hooked up to had been caped off years before. Luckey they didn't burn the place down.
Thanks for reminding me,Bob


tom cairns    Posted 09-22-2003 at 13:31:05       [Reply]  [Send Email]
i've just came across a boon strachan, warm morning #520 stove. boon strachan coal co. ltd. munufactured it. i was wanting to place this unit in a garage connected to my home. the insurnace company wants some spec.'s. what would be the approx. value of this stove. it is in like new condition.


PCC-AL    Posted 04-06-2002 at 02:55:26       [Reply]  [No Email]
Hi Bob,
Good story. Fire has always been our greatest concern as we live somewhat isolated (by choice) until recently. I think the danger from fire has now been surpassed by the danger from other human beings. Crime seems to be number 1 now.
Good luck.


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community