Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Are there any sites where woman can look for housing with farmer who needs a little domestic help?
[Return to Topics]

SingleMommy    Posted 04-10-2002 at 05:03:59       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Might try being creative...need a place to live soon, August at latest. Have children. Can cook. Can learn to garden, etc. Are there websites for this sort of thing?


Dreamweaver    Posted 04-10-2002 at 20:58:10       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'm a single mommy two, 2 daughters, one in college, the other will be 13 on Friday. I have 2 spare bedrooms and a huge yard. If I had enough BR space, I'd say come on! I work from home doing medical transcription, so I'm here all the time, but it would be nice to swap off babysitting so me and you both could have a little time off. Where are you now? I'm in NC.

Bob    Posted 04-10-2002 at 09:09:44       [Reply]  [Send Email]
If you can name it, I have probably been thru it. I don't envy you in your situation and wish I could help you out, but unfortunately I don't have the resources.

I do have great respect for you wanting your children to enjoy a country life, and even more respect for you or anyone else who is determined to make a go of it no matter what.

I also understand lonely, only not for the same reasons. All but one of my children are grown and gone, my wife works at a nursing home (usually double shifts). I run my little shop by myself, and usually don't see a familiar face for 16 hrs out of a day. I also get lonely.

In any case, keep working at it. I am sure you will land on your feet.

best of wishes.

Salmoneye...Um...    Posted 04-10-2002 at 08:23:23       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Look in your local papers or The Burlington (VT) Free Press.
There are always ads for on-farm live-in help for milking on dairy farms.
Here most places have a trailer on site that they will give you rent free and pay you like $100/week minimum on top of that for milking morning and night.

If you are willing to work farms, there is a way...

DJ    Posted 04-10-2002 at 09:13:19       [Reply]  [No Email]
Salmoneye this brings up an important question!

I may want to hire help here and will want to provide him or her a place to stay.

What sort of provisions are provided to us with the townships with regulations to allow a set up such as this for hired help?

The trailer or cottage, that is.


Salmoneye    Posted 04-10-2002 at 10:28:53       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I do not know how to answer that DJ.
I assume you will have to look into the local laws and ordinances governing trailers or converting barn space to living or renting rooms etc..
Here in VT there are state laws that govern 'subdividing' certain size plots and how many you can do.
There are also local and state laws about existing and new sewage systems etc...

Wish I could be more help, but it really is a local thing...

Hogman    Posted 04-10-2002 at 19:21:44       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'm no expert on this, but have done a lot of thinkin on tha subject as We have been and strta still are considerin some such arrangement. Sorry SM it's only a one room cabin,rustic!
As We see it right now it is a very big leap of faith on tha part of both parties!
A place to live,work nominal hours with just enough pay to buy beans but with a garden and mabe one eatin critter.
Folks around here are not into suin any and everbody and insurance covers some on farm workers BUT, not full time.

Expect a very good place to look would be as a farm setter for some absentee owner. Might check thru ads in farm related magazines.
Maw Hog just came in,looked at what I was writtin and said "Ya better tell Her Your wife is half indian with a sharp tomahawk and a lot of jealuss cussedness." LOL

Dennis and Toni    Posted 04-10-2002 at 07:39:20       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Try the link
or type in country singles in any search engine and also read countryside and small stock journal magazine, and backwoods home magazine. Both on the net also.
Good luck and let us know what happens.

kraig WY    Posted 04-10-2002 at 06:20:15       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Where ever you go I think the first thing you need to do is locate a good (small) church. With a church family you'll never be alone and you'll be taken care of by people who will love you as opposed to the government who will treat you like a satsistic. Bless you and I pray things work out for you.

DJ    Posted 04-10-2002 at 07:31:55       [Reply]  [No Email]
I wouldn't count on the church helping you. LOL

Been there done that. The church is a joke, the only ones who are helped are the slick preachers who have a salary and a parish who don't have to work.

No, you better go with assistance from the government. We have the track record to back us up. Your children don't have to eat flesh or drink blood as your food source from the government.

We the government will help you with job training and housing and food until you get up on your feet again.

The church will never lead you anywhere but in a chronic state of bare subsistance.

When the church can take over the welfare system, then and only then, should you consider it.

kraig WY    Posted 04-10-2002 at 09:44:55       [Reply]  [No Email]
I said good church. Christ taught love, compassion, and charity. Granted there are a lot that don't but there are Philadelphian church out here. One only needs to look. Normaly smaller churhes. I'll trust my fate to the church long before the government.

Jim (Mi)    Posted 04-10-2002 at 11:38:26       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Good point Kraig. I definately have seen bad churches, but have seen the flip side. I am no longer religious, but my baptists friend always takes his family to Mexico to help out children. I remember when I was younger a friend of mine had nothing. She just in passing talked to a christian pastor. That evening her empty apartment was completely furnished by the people of the church. She never asked for a thing, was just talking to be polite. I have to agree with you on trusting a church long before I suckle on the gov't.

DJ    Posted 04-10-2002 at 05:28:02       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'm sure they're gonna need to know how many children you have and their ages. Have you said where you'd be coming from? What part of the country are you in now? SE NW Central? for example..........

Me again- New Hampshire area...will relocate almost anywhere...    Posted 04-10-2002 at 05:51:34       [Reply]  [No Email]
Willing to learn anything. Don't want to be alone...too lonely.


SingleMommy2002    Posted 04-10-2002 at 05:42:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
5 children ages 8 and under, good kids. One has developmental disabilites, very good boy, receives disability. $800 child support + $500 disability per month. Hate living alone though. I am a young woman, 27.

DJ    Posted 04-10-2002 at 07:35:44       [Reply]  [No Email]
How can anyone be lonely with 5 beautiful children?

SingleMommy- well...    Posted 04-10-2002 at 07:38:48       [Reply]  [No Email]
I am not lonely with my beauties that is true...but I miss adult conversation and friendship. I love my kids, they mean the world to me....but an adult needs more too. :0)

DJ    Posted 04-10-2002 at 09:10:11       [Reply]  [No Email]
I understand. So you don't have any adult friends or family to talk to and help you?

Yes I have family and friends but    Posted 04-10-2002 at 09:37:22       [Reply]  [No Email]
They all live far away...down South. Also they don't believe in seperation or divorce at all no matter what so will not help.


DJ    Posted 04-10-2002 at 05:31:42       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Will you be getting government assistance and how much are you going to consider as a rent amount?

You can apply for Section Eight housing assistance. But this takes about a year or so I believe........

You can email me for more information.

Tanya R. Larry    Posted 08-28-2007 at 15:20:38       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I'm a 31yr old 21wks pregnant woman from New Orleans who just lost her home.The father of my child walked out on me.I'm dissabled and in need of some form of housing assistance for me and my unborn child.

karen blevins    Posted 07-06-2004 at 16:47:29       [Reply]  [Send Email]
hi my daughter is homeless with 2 children age 2&1 she has been a vic. of domestic violance. her husband was released today with a vocher for 1 month hotel she has no where to go with her kids why?

Rolanda McDonald    Posted 03-31-2005 at 11:00:41       [Reply]  [Send Email]
If you could assist me with finding a program for low income or section 8 housing for a family of 7 it will be greatly appreciated.
Ms. Rolanda McDonald

Alecia Richardson    Posted 08-25-2003 at 11:42:28       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I am inquiring about my application that I sent in over a year ago

Wendy    Posted 05-17-2003 at 10:55:54       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I need info on how to apply for section eight housing.

Skinwhittler    Posted 04-10-2002 at 06:01:39       [Reply]  [No Email]
GLad to read posts that have offered help. Makes me happy to see folks helping other folks.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community