Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Wallpaper damage
[Return to Topics]

Michele in VA    Posted 09-10-2004 at 07:48:48       [Reply]  [No Email]
When the remnants of Hurricane Frances came through
Virginia, it blew water sideways into my house, leaving
black residue, probably rainwater mixed with black roof
dirt, behind the wallpaper in my daughter's
room, about a 9-square-foot area. My friend says
forget about it, but I'm wondering if I should open up the
seams, wash behind the paper, and then try to close up
the seams again. This wallpaper is really pretty, in
great condition and has been there since about 1950.
Any wallpaper experts out there?

Michele


GeneSC    Posted 09-10-2004 at 13:20:53       [Reply]  [No Email]
Have done conciderable ammount of wallpaper, and
have found that once it turns loose about the only
thing to do is remove it and replace or paint. on
the thought of mold- not only is a danger and should
be removed immediately AND completely because of
health hazzards, there's not a glue that I know of
that will hold your paper. it will continue to grow under the paper
and the paper will eventually turn loose.
Hope this helps, Not trying to talk you out of
trying, i'd just be a little concerned about the
health issues of mold ......Gene.........


Fern(Mi)    Posted 09-10-2004 at 09:49:24       [Reply]  [No Email]
My concern would go deeper into the wall to the extent of removing the sheet rock so the framing may be examined, allowed to dry, washed down with bleach-water if need be to remove any start of mold hidden within the wall. Then thoroughly dry Kilz is good. I have used two applications of shellac cut 50/50 with alcohol applied with garden sprayer to make the job easier. The bleach will kill the mold and wash it away. The shellac (or Kilz) will seal the structure from further high humidity odors and hopefully stop further mold damage. Check outside wall for venting and re-insulate, sheet rock and tape, mud to taste (level) , and prime or seal and paper to/for looks.
Thatís my two bits worth.
Have a happy day.
Fernan


rhouston    Posted 09-10-2004 at 08:59:37       [Reply]  [No Email]
if you suspect it to be mold DO NOT LET YOUNG CHILDREN SLEEP IN THERE. ALSO DO NOT LET INFANTS IN THERE AT ALL.


Peanut    Posted 09-10-2004 at 08:18:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
Not an expert either but ...

I have to agree with Red Dave. Anything new "behind" the wallpaper has got to be growing. If it wasn't there before the storm and its there now, I think it is probably mold. If you dont take care of it you risk illness and bigtime structure problems if it keeps growing.

As for the wallpaper - If you can get an adhesive disolving solution behind the wallpaper you'll have a chance at removing it. The real problems are removing it without damaging it and then getting it back on the wall and having the seams match up. You will risk expansion and contraction of the wallpaper getting it wet with the solution to get it down and then wet again with new adhesive to get it back on the wall.

If it were me, I would verify it is mold and kill it, prime the wall with Killz It (primer that covers durn near everything), and wallpaper with new paper.

My two cents.


Red Dave    Posted 09-10-2004 at 08:05:41       [Reply]  [No Email]
Not a wallpaper expert, not by a long shot.

But it does occur to me that the black residue may be a mold or mildew. If that's the case then I'd get rid of it as soon as I could.


SEAHAG    Posted 09-10-2004 at 15:18:13       [Reply]  [No Email]
A little advice from someone that worked for a mold remedation company remove the paper no matter what...wash the walls with bleach water and get a dehumidifier in there and also do not under no circumstances put any air movement in there it spreads the mold spores, remove your baseboards and the carpet remove all items from the room and it you can clean them get some sporiciden from Servpro and use it per their instructions to clean the items..any more advice give me an email


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community