Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Treehuggers beware
[Return to Topics]

still laughing    Posted 04-17-2002 at 11:55:55       [Reply]  [No Email]

Published: April 13, 2002

PORTLAND (AP) — A woman tree sitter fell 150 feet from a platform in the Eagle Creek timber sale area, was badly injured and died before rescue crews could arrive to the remote site.

In a sad twist, the timber sale the woman was apparently protesting when she fell Friday had been canceled three days before her death. The cancelation was announced in a speech on the U.S. Senate floor by Ron Wyden, D-Ore., on Tuesday.

Local rescue crews struggled up snow-clogged dirt roads to reach the tree-sitters’ camp in the Mount Hood National Forest after fellow activists called 9-1-1 on a cell phone at about 7 p.m., Clackamas County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Angela Blanchard said.

The caller said the woman, who authorities have not identified, was badly hurt and unconscious but still breathing, Blanchard said.

By the time rescue crews arrived at about 9:30 p.m., she was dead, Blanchard said.

‘‘We had problems getting up to that area because there was snow on the ground, slushy snow on the ground, and we couldn’t get the four-wheel drive trucks up there,’’ she said.

Blanchard said the woman’s body will remain at the site until a medical examiner can reach the site Saturday.

Ivan Maluski, a spokesman for the American Lands Alliance, a group involved in protesting the now-canceled Eagle Creek sale, said tree sitters were days away from leaving the woods after a three-year vigil at the contentious site.

About four people take turns living year-round in tree platforms in the Sunset Grove area where the protester fell, Maluski said.

‘‘People literally are waiting for the ink to dry (on the cancelation deal). Probably we’re going to be packing up and leaving this week, assuming it is signed,’’ Maluski said.

‘‘It’s the end of the third winter out there. It’s really dangerous to be tree-sitting knowing that the winter’s going on. I was really pushing hard this year, saying, ‘‘Don’t go through another winter,’’’ he said.

They almost didn’t have to.

Wyden, an opponent of the timber sale, announced Tuesday that the U.S. Forest Service had canceled the cutting contract after an independent review determined the deal required significant modifications to prevent environmental harm.

At issue was the problem of blowdown, or trees not intended for cutting being felled by winds on the edge of clear cuts. The Forest Service said tree sitters were not a factor in deciding to cancel the Eagle Creek sale.

The Forest Service proposed a ‘‘mutual cancellation’’ of the sales with the timber company, Boring-based Vanport Manufacturing.

The agency offered to refund roughly $1.3 million in deposits, interest and other expenses that Vanport incurred. Vanport President Adolf Hertrich said he would accept, and that appeared to end the contentious timber harvest.

Tree sitters, however, said they would remain in the woods until the final paperwork was signed.

The death may be a first among tree-sitters who live in plywood platforms nailed or lashed to the upper limbs of trees tagged for logging to prevent cutting.

At least two other tree sitters have fallen from perches in the past year in Oregon, requiring evacuation and medical treatment.

A protester fell together with his dislodged platform at the Eagle Creek timber sale last June and was taken by helicopter to a Portland hospital. The unidentified protester at first refused medical treatment and then ran away from the hospital without treatment.

In October, anti-logging protester Michael Scarpitti, also known as Tre Arrow, tumbled 60 feet from a treetop perch in the Tillamook State Forest and suffered multiple broken bones.

Dave 2N    Posted 04-17-2002 at 18:32:07       [Reply]  [Send Email]
One of the hazards of being an "environmental wacko," I guess. Believing in something is one thing but carrying it to goofy extremes is another. Sitting 150 feet up in a tree???? She could have helped out the environment just as much by mowing my lawn, and she would have had both feet solidly "on the ground" in more ways than one.

Sadened in Arkansas    Posted 04-17-2002 at 12:52:11       [Reply]  [No Email]
To Still laughing,
I hope no one laughs if one of your children die for what they believe in!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJ    Posted 04-17-2002 at 12:59:53       [Reply]  [No Email]
Chances are better, they'll die for what others believe.

Tyler(WA)    Posted 04-17-2002 at 12:38:21       [Reply]  [No Email]
More like legendary stupidity.

Uhhh, that would apply to them before the fall too, so what's the significance of the story?

It must be just another splash of chlorine in the gene pool.

PatM - I always wondered    Posted 04-17-2002 at 15:11:58       [Reply]  [No Email]
where'd the plywood and dimensional lumber for those platforms come from?

pat    Posted 04-18-2002 at 18:12:03       [Reply]  [No Email]
good point on the wherabouts of the lumber,in other words "poor tree" ,,,almost like a vegetarian eating a hamburger.... while protesting at a slaughter house....

brian    Posted 04-17-2002 at 16:00:45       [Reply]  [No Email]
good point!

Urban legend, uh huh yeah right. DJ    Posted 04-17-2002 at 11:59:04       [Reply]  [No Email]

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community