Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

To,Peanut...dig.. and Salmon eye
[Return to Topics]

Clod    Posted 09-15-2004 at 11:21:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
Here is what I want to do. (going back to work in a fw mins) I want to download Zone Alert and my IP dial up thing. Maybe some other programs. This PC is online but theres one with Sasser virus that cuts offline ,(MS has a patch to fix that) but I guess only fits my XP Pro when I DL it. But anyway I want to DL programs in this PC and enter it into the offline PC. I have a disk record on this .But is there an available transfer wire. I forgot the plug name on back.Same place you plug in the printer. Any info would be nice. >>> Back to work.

Yepper!    Posted 09-15-2004 at 11:36:13       [Reply]  [No Email]
What you are trying to do is "PC-to-PC file transfer". You have two choices:

1) Use the printer port (big flat pluggy thingamajig) on the back of each PC. You take a bi-directional parallel cable and plug it into the printer port on both PCs. These cables come from any Wal-Mart or computer store. I think a 6 foot cable costs about $25 (its been a long time since I bought one though).

2) Use the USB ports on each PC. I am pretty sure the ports must be USB 2.0 (high-speed USB port)

You need software that installs on one PC and once the two machines are connected, you simply choose the files you want transfered and fire away. Pretty simple and slick. That is one of the easiest ways to transfer files from an old computer to a new one if you dont have a network installee (not many of do at home).

Here are a couple links to get you pointed in the right direction:

The software is pretty reasonable to purchase and does come in handy. Once you get your virus infected PC cleaned up, you can use this process to keep a complete backup of your good PC on you old (formerly infected) PC. Of course this assumes your hard drive capacities allow this.

Best of luck.

- Peanut

ron,ar    Posted 09-15-2004 at 16:43:33       [Reply]  [No Email]
That bi-directional thing you mentioned. Is that made by Essex? Is it merely a weak version of the Essex tri-directional and can you up-grade it to a fully functional ETD? One last question, while using this bi-directional thingy do you have to wear a tin-foil hat and if so is it still shiny side out?

dig    Posted 09-15-2004 at 17:54:52       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'm sorry but we don't mention the ETD. Particularly not around computing machines. That being said, do you want the rays to bounce off or slide off? If you want them to bounce, it's shiny side out. Given the nature of what we're trying to do I want them to bounce with a capital ounce.

Clod    Posted 09-15-2004 at 15:42:17       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yes,,USB ,that is it.>> you sid above.>>) Use the USB ports on each PC. I am pretty sure the ports must be USB 2.0 (high-speed USB port) <<<<<<<< I have a cable that loks like the same that Walmrt sells.One end is normal size to fit the standard USB connector.Like Walmarts,and mine,The other end ismuch smaller.That small end I do not know the name of ,But I guess this brand new PC has this size as an extra .I'll check out the info this eve..Thanks a lot Peanut.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community