Posted 09-15-2004 at 16:41:40
[Reply] [No Email]
THINGS I'VE LEARNED SINCE HIMMICANE CHARLEY
I've learned an awful lot since I chanced Himmicane Charley:
* There are a lot of trees around here (there WERE anyway)
* He who has the biggest generator wins (or the most gas cans)
* I can walk a lot farther than I thought(but I just don't like to)
* Cats are even more irritating without power (TRUE, same for Dogs too)
* Tree service companies are under appreciated(AMEN)
* Coffee and frozen pizzas can be made on a BBQ grill(especially if ya want em bad enough)
* The price of a bag of ice rises 200% after a hurricane (TRUE)
* Laundry hampers were not made to contain such a volume.
* Some things do keep the mailman from his appointed rounds.
* Telemarketers function no matter what the weather is doing (Dangit)
* There are a lot more stars in the sky than most people thought.
* A new method of non-lethal torture, -- showers without hot water (But they're so Refreshing once you catch your breath again)
* Flood plan drawings on some mortgage documents were seriously wrong (ya got that right)
* I learned what happens when you make fun of another state's blackout (Not me)
* Aluminum siding, while aesthetically pleasing, is definitely not required.
* Drywall is a compound word, take away the "dry" part and it's worthless.
* Your water front property can quickly become someone else's fishing hole (and bring in some funky critters too)
* Crickets can increase their volume to overcome the sound of 14 generators (Yaaayyy)
* Kids can survive 4 days or longer without a video game controller in their hand (Will wonders never cease)
* If I had a store that sold only ice, chainsaws, gas, and generators ... I'd be rich (Filthy Rich)
* TV & a Computer is an addiction and the withdrawal symptoms are painful. One day at a time, brother.
* People will get into a line that has already formed without having any idea what the line is for (this is funny actually but TRUE also)
* No matter how many times you flick the switch, lights don't work without electricity (well DUH)
* Women can actually survive without doing their hair, -- you just wish they weren't around you (No Comment)
* When required, a Chrysler 300M will float. It doesn't steer well, but it floats just the same (Uh-Huh)
* Cell phones work when land lines are down, -- but only as long as the battery remains charged (Yep, after that yer SOL)
* 27 of your neighbors are fed from a different transformer than you, and they are quick to point that out! (Aht! No Whining)
* Contrary to most Florida natives' beliefs, the speed limit on roads without traffic lights does not increase (that's no fun)
* POWER MATH 101: 31 days in the month, minus 6 days without power equals a 30% higher electric bill??? (That just doesn't compute)
* Just because you're over 21 doesn't mean you can stay out as late as you want. At least that's what the cops told me during a curfew stop (And they take that curfew quite seriously too)
* No matter how far away a himmicane or hurricane may be in time or distance, the television stations will make sure it affects you in some way (But of course)
* A 7-pound bag of ice will chill 6 12-ounce Budweiser's to a drinkable temperature in 11 minutes, -- and still keep a 14-pound turkey frozen for 8 more hours (wouldn't know about this one)
* Some folks will always keep their sense of humor and try to cheer up other folks, even when things are dreary (Yep) * HIMMIcanes are usually far more dangerous than HERRIcanes, because their pi$$ed that the NWS gives them men's names but continues to call them HURRIcanes.
You will note that I continue to try to appease ALL HIMMicanes.
^ j ^
Posted 09-16-2004 at 03:59:01
[Reply] [No Email]
Yep this is definitely a keeper, I can vouch for everything on that list and even add one...
Mold will grow on ANY available surface, from plastic to wood to even flesh. (I don't know that personally, but it's been documented.)