Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

[Return to Topics]

Hmmm?    Posted 10-14-2004 at 12:29:39       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I sold a car recently. I don't know how it works in every state, but you sign the title over to the new owner...simple as that, no notary needed. I find the fact that no notary is needed is strange in itself....anyway...until the title is retyped in the new owner's name, who would be held liable if an accident were to occur in conjunction with my old car? Should I keep it insured for a while?


Plates or no plates    Posted 10-14-2004 at 17:20:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
If your state requires the plates be left on the car, then all you have to worry about is a proof-of-sale.

If the plates are supposed to come off the car, you rare free and clear. But, if you did not take them off (and they were supposed to come off), now you need to be concerned about a dated proof-of-sale.

Bottom line - Did you write up a Bill of Sale? Did both parties sign it? If so, rest easy. If not, be prepared to prove you sold it on a particular date. A phone call to your insurance company indicating you sold the car is usually sufficient to prove you did so even without a Bill of Sale.

In Missouri it takes about 5 weeks to get a new title issued. I would hate to pay insurance for an extra 5 weeks if I didn't have to.

When in doubt ...... call you dept of motor vehicles office and ask them.

- Peanut

Hmmmm    Posted 10-15-2004 at 10:02:49       [Reply]  [Send Email]
OK, now I am done kicking myself....

The dealer actually picked up my car so I left the plates on. I tried to get the plate back from the dealer, but they cannot find it??? I contacted my county vehicle department and they recommended just filing for a lost tag, getting a new one, then immediately returning the new one for credit. I guess this would void the old tag....right? I am still wondering if my liability has been severed. I called my insurance company and dropped the insurance...I did tell them I sold it. The tag dept. and the insurance company did not forsee any problems with this situation. Still have a sick spot in my stomach though.

no Peanut    Posted 10-14-2004 at 18:57:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
as I said, it depends on the state, and we still don't know where he lives. Bill of sale does nothing in Ca without you notifying the DMV. True, maybe you might win in court, but why spend a ton of money if you don't have to?
You see, where the problem starts is if the buyer does not register the car in his name. then, to all practical purposes, the records will show the vehicle is still yours. In case of an accident, you are still the owner of said vehicle.
If new owner is a minor, YOU are responsible. The very best way is for both parties to go to the DMV together, that way, everything is taken care of

ray/mo    Posted 10-14-2004 at 19:38:12       [Reply]  [Send Email]
In the misery state, we just make sure the transfer portions of the title are Properly filled out and DATED. good luck

it varies    Posted 10-14-2004 at 14:31:28       [Reply]  [No Email]
for state to state. Without knowing where you live, is impossible to answer your question. for instance, in Ca you leave your plates on the car but mail in a form saying when it was sold and to who. In Va, you take the plates off, the best thing to do is go to DMV and sign a form telling them you have sold the car, because even a dealer will keep it in your name. Just two instances. One thing for sure, make sure you sold your car to an adult, cause if you sell to a minor, you are responsible.

Bob Mi    Posted 10-14-2004 at 12:34:37       [Reply]  [No Email]
If you have a dated bill of sale you have nothing to wory about. Did you take your plates off?

big fred    Posted 10-14-2004 at 14:27:08       [Reply]  [No Email]
Not in this state. They go with the car.

~Lenore    Posted 10-14-2004 at 13:10:21       [Reply]  [No Email]
Oh my!!?

I have never taken my license plates off when I sold a car!!

I should do that?

mojo    Posted 10-14-2004 at 13:54:05       [Reply]  [No Email]
Dad said to ALWAYS take the plates or else they'll be involved in a bank robbery and they'll come after YOU!LOL

Lori    Posted 10-15-2004 at 13:28:13       [Reply]  [No Email]
In NY state, you have to turn plates in to the DMV BEFORE you can cancel your insurance. If you let insurance lapse on a vehicle that has plates, you pay $12 per day, for every day of the lapse. The owner of the plate on the vehicle is always liable for any accidents. This is interesting, I thought all states operated the same.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community