Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Sammie needs some good advice from a Lawyer!
[Return to Topics]

Mark H. Read Sammies post below!!    Posted 05-04-2002 at 08:05:01       [Reply]  [No Email]
Sammies got her self in a bad situation! She could use some good help on this one! Read the post below and look at the pictures and you will see what I mean. Mark H.

Bill    Posted 05-06-2002 at 08:25:34       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Contact your states licensing agency, they can tell you how to file a complaint. Cheaper than a lawyer and they seem to get better response.

screaminghollow    Posted 05-04-2002 at 17:18:08       [Reply]  [No Email]
I am an attorney but don't have much familiarity with real estate law. A couple of things to consider first:
a. does your state/local government license contractors. If so you can file a complaint against the contractor. The agency may send some one out to inspect.
b. Call the VA and file a complaint against the inspector. They have a very active fraud investigation division and if they find the inspector didn't fdo his job, will not allow him to be a VA inspector in the future.
c. call your government consumer affairs office, if there is one.

I am aware of one lady who got FHA to force the mortgage company to let her out of her house and note, because the inspector and the realtor happened to be husband and wife and the inspector never even went out to the house. Any idiot could have seen the bare electrical wires in the kitchen, leaks in the roof, and that there was no garage. The inspector merely went be the tax appraisal which showed a two car garage. It burned down four years earlier. The inspector is now being prosecuted for fraud. The lady never did hire a lawyer.

Sammie    Posted 05-04-2002 at 09:30:59       [Reply]  [No Email]
Good morning Mark, thank you!!

Before I bought this house, the previous owner had to make some major repairs to the house or the inspectors and the VA wouldn't sign off on the house. The old mans realter sent out some "not licensed and bonded" labor, supposedly under the supervision of a contractor to do the repairs. It looked really good from underneath the house however, today when I hired a licensed/ bonded framer I know to install a prehung door, he started tearing out the outside of the house to figure out why I had a bulge in the siding, then he started playing with my side door trying to figure out why it didn't look right. The entire wall on one side of the door is sliding off of the foundation and as you can tell from the pictures, THIS is what is called a REPAIR? The bricks are the only thing holding up the wall and the wall is about to slide off of them - 1 more inch. This was supposed to have been done and done right BEFORE the sale. The old man is dead now. My contractor and the old mans real estate agent are coming out tomorrow morning. My gut says, hire a lawyer. What would you do? (besides burn it down!!!)

I did not own the house nor at the time of the repairs did I have a legal right to say what was being done. I just figured when the inspectors said it was ok then, it was ok. It wasn't.

Mark Hendershot    Posted 05-04-2002 at 13:33:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
Sammie; Stand your ground!! You have the cards in your hand. Inform them you want to see the licence, insurance and bond of the person who did the work. You also want to see the licence and paper work on the inspector too. Hold off on getting your attorney and save that for recourse (might save you some money) Get all the papers in your hands first befor seeing him/her. Ask them what they are going to do about this substandard work that was done to the house and where was the permit that was signed off for foundation work. They will get nervous real soon. Then you have your cannon the lawer to bring up. Don't allow them to rip you off and if you have to I belive there is a real estate comisioner that covers fraud like this too. (check with lawyer first). Someone signed off on the repairs done find out who did that. Also that inspector could be in hot water if he over looked problems so the sale could go thru. You need someone on your side that knows the building trade to be with you during this. Let me know what happens. Mark H.

Sammie    Posted 05-04-2002 at 09:35:40       [Reply]  [No Email]
follow up:

The old mans real estate agent and MY contractor are meeting here in about 1/2 hour to discuss the situation. I am looking for the name of the lawyer that handled a small problem with the paperwork on this place for me but this is Sat. so I'll have to contact him on Monday. I'll let you know what happens with the meeting today.

Sammie    Posted 05-04-2002 at 11:12:59       [Reply]  [No Email]
kind of funny how fast everyone involved who are supposed to know what they are doing steps way back really fast once the sale is done, isn't it?

Sammie    Posted 05-04-2002 at 11:12:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
kind of funny how fast everyone involved who are supposed to know what they are doing steps way back really fast once the sale is done, isn't it?

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community