Posted 01-16-2005 at 09:10:32
[Reply] [No Email]
Ten of King’s Quotes
1. If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.
2. Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. It is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral
because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than to convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than
3. There is nothing more dangerous than to build a society, with a large segment of people in that society, who feel that they have no stake in it; who feel that they have nothing to lose.
People who have a stake in their society, protect that society, but when they don't have it, they unconsciously want to destroy it.
4. In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
5. Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
6. Ten thousand fools proclaim themselves into obscurity, while one wise man forgets himself into immortality.
7. All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem.
8. The good neighbor looks beyond the external accidents and discerns those inner qualities that make all men human and, therefore, brothers.
9. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.
10. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
***Got this in an email and just wanted to share it with ya'll. Hope everyone has a Safe weekend : )