Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Social Security question
[Return to Topics]

Bkeepr    Posted 02-24-2005 at 04:18:01       [Reply]  [No Email]
OK, got a real life question about SS:

My mother-in-law gets a small SS check, my father-in-law gets a big one. She worked for a short while as a young lady, but was a full-time Mom most of her life; he worked out of the house all his. Both are in their mid- to upper 70s. They are still married and live together, so this isn't an issue today.

But assuming he will pass away first (he's not in great health, and her family history indicates she'll live for *many* more years yet), will she get any increase in what she receives in SS? Or will she continue just getting the small check she gets now?

I ask because her check won't be enough to live on, and we'll likely be helping provide for her if/when that time comes...and I need to plan now how we'll do that. Oh, and I don't want to ask them, because it'll sound like I'm pushing him out the door and I'm not! :-) I'm just a planner.

thanks for your expertise!

Tom A

midway    Posted 02-24-2005 at 07:17:21       [Reply]  [No Email]
Check this out.

Alias    Posted 02-24-2005 at 04:51:06       [Reply]  [No Email]
Tom, if her husband dies, she will get an increase based on his earning but it will be considerably less that what he gets now. Therefore, if it takes all they make combined to cover monthly bills she might find herself in a bind.......gfp

bob    Posted 02-24-2005 at 04:55:57       [Reply]  [No Email]
She will get a portion of spouse to increase income and if she fallss below a certain level she will get SSI supplement. My mother is a notch baby and she falls into that catorgry. There is some good literature given out by them Will dig up a copy and post name and number so you can get one

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community