Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Type of plow
[Return to Topics]

Bethesda    Posted 06-13-2002 at 20:10:55       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I run a small country museum and have a plow that no one knows for sure what it is called. Those who have used it (we are in Tennessee) call it a "fowler," or is it spelled "fouler." No one seems to know the spelling. It has two narrow blades on each side that are adjustable. When used in one setting it throws dirt to the sides, forming rows that are mounded up, sort of like a raised bed. Later, it is used to run between the rows and scrape the ground lightly for cultivation purposes. Does anyone know the proper name and/or its source?

Manitoba    Posted 06-14-2002 at 12:37:41       [Reply]  [No Email]
Dad figures you have a scuffle plow or scuffler...we used to have an old one that was horse drawn.. they used it to scuffle weeds between the rows and to hill up beans and taters..

Nathan(GA)    Posted 06-14-2002 at 11:05:03       [Reply]  [No Email]
I know what you are talking about, but don't know the proper name for it. That's the problem with plows. They got so many names. At lesat down here in the south. I posted a question on the implement alley at ytmag about a plow. No reply yet. You could try your luck over there.

F14    Posted 06-14-2002 at 02:58:16       [Reply]  [No Email]
Sounds like a middle buster or a lister to me.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community