Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Need help quick in Tx
[Return to Topics]

DG    Posted 07-18-2002 at 14:57:42       [Reply]  [No Email]
Can anyone help me locate charities in Tx. that could help finance a heart operation. I have a friend who's 19 year old neice needs the surgery or she will die soon. The co. hosp says that they can't preform the surgery and Tx childrens won't do it without funding and basically sent her home to die. She has nothing and is mildly retarded. I can't understand why the gov can't help her,they say she don't qualify. Thanks to anyone who can help.

DG    Posted 07-19-2002 at 06:28:17       [Reply]  [No Email]
Many thanks to all. I wished I could tell you the whole story but it's long. This girls been being treated at Tx childrens in Houston. Well she had insurance up to a few months ago when she turned 19 and could no longer be on the policy, so they throw her out. She was born with her heart condition and has lived longer than expected. The procedure she needs was preformed about 10 years ago which bought her some extra time. It was new then and now they say they've profected it and it possibly could give her a normal life. Without it they give her 6 months, (for that mater she could die at any time) and it would have to be preformed well before then because her heart is being more damaged each day and she couldn't survive the surgery. Started working on the Medicad think yesterday. They say you gotta be on something called SSI before you can get medicad. Well SSI is just a free ride where they send you a check every month which she don't want or need. Her anunt can support her dailly needs. Also for all that red tape process to be completed will take more than six months to complete. Thanks to all again. aint giving up yet! My faith is strong. Oh and burr your right on with this VA, her grandfathers there now. They found a lump on his kidney two years ago and said not to worry. Know it's a soft ball and he has cancer,lympts too. We know he's not long for this world. Thanks for your help again and there were some good points I'm gonna check on.

Need Help Quick    Posted 07-18-2002 at 19:57:43       [Reply]  [No Email]
Think you will find that any public hospital that receives Hill-Burton Funding (this includes most public and for profit hospitals) have to treat anyone, money or not, period. They may indicate to you that they do not have to but ask about Hill-Burton Funds and I think you will find many things become possible. Good Luck!

Cowboy Joe    Posted 07-18-2002 at 18:25:36       [Reply]  [No Email]
Sorry to hear your story. Just goes to show that our so-called health care system needs a complete overhaul. It's a joke.

Burrhead    Posted 07-18-2002 at 19:14:51       [Reply]  [No Email]
I don't think a overhaul would help CJ. We orta start fresh and build a health care system.

My supplemental Blue Cross of Texas dropped me a couple of years back so that left medicare only. When you go to a Dr on your medicare you may as well stay home unless you just want to visit the Dr.

Medicare don't pay for medicines or x-rays. I get 3 x-rays for $65 then Some of these pills I take cost $4 to $5 a piece and the rest are 50 cent to $1 a piece and it takes 2-3 of each per day.

I use the VA pharmacy for my medicines or go to Mexico where that $5 pill from here only cost 35 cents there but I would'nt let one of them voodoo hawgbutcher VA Drs worm my goats for me.

Clem    Posted 07-19-2002 at 06:55:35       [Reply]  [No Email]
Burrhead, "hogbutcher VA DRs" You sure got that RIGHT!

JoeK    Posted 07-18-2002 at 15:47:08       [Reply]  [No Email]
Try to contact state medical board re;treatment at research or training hospitals.Or programs/organizations that might help.

F14    Posted 07-18-2002 at 15:03:52       [Reply]  [No Email]
Check with the Shriners.

DG    Posted 07-18-2002 at 15:06:36       [Reply]  [No Email]
Thanks, done did. Criple and burn children only.

Burrhead    Posted 07-18-2002 at 16:31:57       [Reply]  [Send Email]
DG as quick as yall can get to it that gal needs to be certified as medically indigent.

You do that at her county court house and/or health dept.

Once she gets registered into the indigent health care she can go to any Texas non-profit hospital.

I carried one man over to St Luke's in Houston and one to Hermann in Houston for heart surgeries. They both did good and you could'nt tell by the treatment they recieved whether they was millionaires or not.

I put my email on this. If there's anyway I can be of service to guide yall just holler.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community