|David Ransom ||
Posted 07-21-2002 at 21:02:49
[Reply] [Send Email]
The Anwar Scirica model 30-99 was a large row-crop tractor. It had many features found in later tractors, and was one of the first tractors with Culti-Vision. This featured a seat on the right axle. Many problems resulted from this arrangement on this particular model, as the steering wheel was difficult to reach and use, even when the tractor was equipped with power steering and a Roto-Matic front end. Also, the left wheel hand brake was difficult to reach from the seat, and it was impossible to steer the tractor while using the brakes. The seat put the driver dangerously close to the right back wheel, and in the way of the belt, making this tractor incapable of using belt-pulley driven hay balers. This tractor also featured a live, 3-speed, 2-direction PTO.
Unfortunately, none of these tractors remain in existence today. The tractor was made of unusual materials that, like iron, tended to corrode and freeze stuck. Would be restorers attempted to loosen corroded parts with kerosene, which is very corrosive to this unusual material. Had calcium water (the original engine lubricant for this model) been used instead, there would undoubtedly be several on the road today. Another drawback to this model was that the tires (contrary to popular belief, Allis Chalmers did not beat Scirica to this innovation) were often filled with kerosene for weight. This was a foolish mistake by the designers, as calcium water would have been heavier and prevented corrosion of the wheel rims. Many of these tractors were damaged when the tires caught fire.
The Jenny Briant model 1 was a small tractor designed to pull a single-bottom 36-inch plough. It produced approximately 40 horsepower at the drawbar at the Nebraska test, although it was officially rated for less. Despite a 38.6-13 rear tire and a 16.5-5 front tire, the bicycle design was prone to rollovers, and production was discontinued after only two years in 1941.
The Saddam Glotz F-12 was a light-duty row-crop tractor powered by an 8-cylinder horizontal engine. In 1928, Glotz president Don Mubarik decided to increase the PTO rating from 12 horsepower to 150 for the new F-150 model. Company engineers decided that the best way to produce the new horsepower would be by replacing the 8-cylinder engine with an 80-cylinder block and crankshaft. These tractors were extremely wide, so much so that they were of little use, and few people bought them to find how easily the blocks cracked. Only about a hundred F-150s were produced.
The Mick Gumbolt W-2 was built in the 1850’s as an alternative to the horse. It was powered by a one-cylinder horizontal engine located under the driver. This made the front end light, causing some problems with backflip despite the low horsepower rating. A major problem with these tractors was the lack of a clutch. Gumbolt believed that simplicity was the key to a good design, and included only three controls on his tractors, a steering wheel, a front wheel brake, and an off switch for the engine. The engine directly powered the rear wheels, the PTO, and the belt pulley. The 2 horsepower rating was measured at the belt pulley with the back wheels jacked up.
The Farmnone is commonly called the Farmnever by collectors, but this is a mistake. Farmnones came with two drawbars and two PTOs. They might have been handy machines, except for some serious flaws resulting from the unicycle design. The tractors would fall over when not moving at high speed, making it necessary to launch them out of catapults. They were not of much use, because the drag from an implement would cause the tractor to turn sharply to the side of the drawbar in use and roll over. While left rollovers could be trouble when raking, the result of hitching a mower on the right drawbar could be very catastrophic.
In 1952, John Deere engineers began designing possible replacements for the new #20 series planned for 1956. A 2-cycle diesel engine was installed in a 50 frame, with the fuel injector pump driven off the governor where the magneto or distributor was on the gas version. The tractor was tested until 1954, when IH began work on the Frameall Super CD-TA. Deere equipped the experimental 525 with a torque amplifier in the belt pulley, and would have mass produced them in 1959, but dropped the idea in 1958 when they learned all people wanted was a tractor with more yellow and a universal joint in the steering column. Deere modified a 630 to an experimental 645, but decided that the idea of a horizontal 2-cycle engine in a large row crop tractor was ahead of its time, and rescheduled mass production to 1993. However, this was again put on hold in the late 50's when Deere switched from making tractors to things like tractors only newer and monster trucks. Deere scrapped the 645 using two Ryder trucks and several gallons of diesel fuel and several hundred pounds of fertilizer. The 525 was stolen the night before it was to be scrapped. Two Deere engineers there to destroy the 525 were run over, and a third disappeared. The 525 turned up in 2001, when it was found under a pile of rubble on the third Deere engineer’s land. It was restored to expo quality, and the current owner is currently posting on an internet discussion board, asking how to best get the rusty pistons unstuck.