Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Old grindstone
[Return to Topics]

Hilltowner    Posted 09-05-2002 at 13:06:51       [Reply]  [Send Email]
We used to sharpen axes on a grind stone turned by a foot treadle. I found an old stone, but can't recall how the frame and treadle looked. Does anybody have a picture or drawing of one?

Les...fortunate    Posted 09-05-2002 at 17:01:31       [Reply]  [No Email]
We had (maybe my brother still has it) a grindstone that sat on a wooden frame. On one end of the shaft was a crank. On the other end was a gizmo that one could attach a rod which would go to a foot treadle. We didn't have a foot treadle. Dad had four sons and he didn't believe in foot treadles.
We always used an old maple syrup can with a nail stuck through it to drip water on the stone to keep it wet. Some people would cut an old tire in half and mount it under the stone and fill it with water to keep the stone wet. Dad didn't believe in that, either. If you left the water in it when you weren't using it he said it would soften the stone.
Thankfully, I didn't have to turn that stone all that much. Ain't no wonder lots of boys left the farm with that and other kinds of rugged labor.

Pcc-AL    Posted 09-05-2002 at 15:10:01       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have a complete rig with stone. However, it is not the really old type that folks made themselves. This one is all steel frame. My father bought it over 50 years ago. The foot petals have been removed as dad intended to convert it to electricity. Never did though.
When I was a child, lots of farms in the area had a stone set up, usually on a wooden frame. Most had only one foot petal and you started the stone by hand before starting to petal with one foot. Petal was connected by a shaft to a wheel on the end of the axle. Shaft was attached off center so once started turning, you could keep it spinning with your foot.
All of the stones had a tin cup with a small hole in the bottom suspended over the stone to drip water for cooling. Don't have a digital camera. Sorry.

Hilltowner    Posted 09-05-2002 at 17:07:21       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Many thanks, Pcc-AL. What you say about what folks used on the old farms is exactly like I remember it, including the "tin cup", although as I recall, we used a tin can with a hole in it. Maybe somebody else has one with the wooden frame, or knows of one they can get a picture of.

Burrhead    Posted 09-05-2002 at 17:34:53       [Reply]  [No Email]
There's one around here somewhere. I had to move it when I was putting up hay last year. If I can find it I'll email or post a pic.

I sharpened axes, plow points and frog gigs on it.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community