Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Shocking the well
[Return to Topics]

mugsy3    Posted 05-02-2001 at 10:48:02       [Reply]  [No Email]
We are up north and the spring waters are flowing! With so much run-off, we are warned to have our well water checked. We shock our well by dumping down a gallon of bleach, let it sit for a day, then flush it out by running the garden hose. It's not good to allow too much bleach to get into the septic system, could cause problems, so we avoid running the taps and flushing as much as possible until most of the bleach in flushed out through the garden hose.

For safety reasons, I'm inclined to shock more often than current 2x a year. Bleach is cheap enough but the whole process can be time consuming and inconvenient. What do you all do to shock your systems and how often?

Ok, don't get funny with me here, you know what kind of system I'm talking about!


John L. French    Posted 09-17-2004 at 08:48:14       [Reply]  [No Email]
Have a local chemist check the water for heavy metal elements and toxins. Do not turn this into a bigger deal than the activists/Know it alls wish it to be. There are some biologics you want present in the well, do not kill them all for the sake of protection. They can help. Deal with the bad bugs on a individual basis, and non-organics with filters. A lot of problems (not all) are settled with water softening. As far as chlorine is concerned, it deals with a salt water to chlorine to salt water cycle. This means that all the chlorine converts back to salt water. It is only toxic in large quantities. I would say if this is a continuous use well, use lesser amounts of chlorine regularly, and not so much that you have to waste the ever so precious supply of water. A cheap check is a colorometer. Use it to check the chlorine content and then determine it's toxicity. If the water is toxic, wait three hours, and check again. If it is still too toxic you have used too much Cl. DO NOT USE SHOCKING FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN SEASONAL CAMPS! Chlorine destroy's biologics by blowing them up. If you talk with a REAL chemist they will fill you in on the science. Sorry I'm late, I just found this web-page.


John L. French    Posted 09-17-2004 at 08:48:14       [Reply]  [No Email]


John L. French    Posted 09-17-2004 at 08:48:14       [Reply]  [No Email]


Alvin NE WI    Posted 05-03-2001 at 20:14:00       [Reply]  [No Email]
Golly, make me appreciate the good water we got here, haven't put any bleach down since it was drilled back in '58 and it is tested every year to keep the milk permit.


Mudcat49    Posted 05-02-2001 at 20:25:52       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have to treat my well water, first there is a airator to get the sulpher out, and it has a clorine injecter in it, then it goes thru a filter to get stuff and the clorine out, then thru a softner and then into the house.


Dreamweaver    Posted 05-02-2001 at 16:09:45       [Reply]  [No Email]
I shock my well with bleach as well. Careful when uncapping it for black widow spiders. They love to live under there.


Bluebird    Posted 05-02-2001 at 16:03:18       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Our Extension Service here advises us to shock our well the same as you are doing - a gallon of bleach twice a year. Kills any algae and makes the water taste a lot better. We simply turn the pump back on and let the water run until there is no taste of bleach left.


IHank    Posted 05-02-2001 at 11:34:24       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Mugsy- I been thru that and it gets kinda scary. I rally my neighbors and created a rural water system and we're free of those problems now.

Technically, study up on hydrogen peroxide, H2O2. It is a powerful disinfectant, both in liquid form and in air as the gas form (ozone). The good part is that the H2O2 molecule naturally and rapidly degrades by shedding one oxygen atom and becomes just water with some dissolved oxygen and dead germs in it. It's far more safe and "user friendly" than chlorine bleach.

Good luck, IHank


Danny in CO    Posted 05-02-2001 at 11:01:05       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I shock mine as you do, about twice a year. I pour 1-2 gallons of bleach in the well, wait an hour, then turn on taps in the house until I smell clorine. Then shut them off and let set 24-48 hours. Then I run an outside hose hard until there is very little smell of clorine.

So far, I have no problems (that I know of!).


Steve in upstate NY    Posted 06-23-2003 at 13:11:12       [Reply]  [Send Email]
OK everyone; I have a well and use the tap water often to cook with and also take showers as I hope we all do for those of us that take regular showers... ;-) Anyways my question is I looked all this stuff up in the net about wells and shocking one. I have found that I have algae build up on the inside of my toilet tank as well as Im sure on the casing of the well itself. What do I do to get rid of the nasty build up and the smell of rotten eggs/sulfur? I am about to pour about 2 gallons directly into the well and do as perscribed let sit for 24-48 hours after running tap to dislodge the odor of Chlorine. Will this take care of the algae build-up?


mugsy3    Posted 05-03-2001 at 06:40:43       [Reply]  [No Email]
Thanks all.
IHank, I haven't heard of using hydrogen peroxide to shock a well. I know you can buy a special product to shock a well, is it hydrogen peroxide? I've always avoided buying special-made products when what gramma used always did the trick. I'll check into that.

Mudcat sure has a lot of fuss to get safe drinking water. Makes me appreciate my own.


Kacey    Posted 08-13-2002 at 07:16:47       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I recently have experienced a strong sulphur smell from the faucet when then water is running. Will shocking the well remedy this as well?


Hans van Hoek    Posted 01-15-2006 at 06:48:55       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I just recently had a well drilled after letting it run for 3 hours the water cleared nicely but i also noted a mild sulphur smell the well is 249 feet deep has a 2 inch drop pipe coupled to a 2 h.p. motor does anyone out there have a solution for the problem at hand please advise thank you Hans


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community