Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

What is this for and called? Any Old Timers Know???
[Return to Topics]

Willy-N    Posted 09-16-2002 at 10:33:15       [Reply]  [Send Email]

I am tring to figure what this was used for? It is 8 inches long and Hand Forged. It appears to be driven into something and then a rope tied to it or maybe a cable or chain. I think most likely a rope due to no wear on the ring from use of metal in it. Was thinking of maybe for pulling Logs, or driving into a crack in a Rock for tieing off to??? I know some old timer has seen one of these out there in use. This board should have a few on it! Any ideas?? Thanks, Mark H.

brighter idea    Posted 09-19-2002 at 10:32:53       [Reply]  [No Email]
could it have been used for tying log booms together in the water , seen stuff like this used for tying booms together before , if there used in rough water there usually longer but we had a pond at the mill in the old days an used shorter one like that for tying the logs togerher

Willy-N    Posted 09-19-2002 at 13:21:11       [Reply]  [No Email]
That is what I thought it was for and the square hole was used to hook a Pickeroon into to Help pull it out with. Mark

Patria    Posted 09-16-2002 at 11:00:58       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Even when you don't find here, this site is a great reference tool to keep at hand.

Good Luck

Ron/PA    Posted 09-16-2002 at 10:52:31       [Reply]  [Send Email]
We had 2 or 3 of them when I was a kid and we always used them to split wood, the handle made it safer for one to hold and hit.
Maybe not what it is, but grandad never told us any different.

Burrhead    Posted 09-16-2002 at 13:17:53       [Reply]  [No Email]
When we was using them things Papa called it a rock wedge.

In slate and shale rock country you could break out flat rock for foundations and walkways. and put the rock around and thru cattle gates so it did'nt turn into a bog in wet weather.

Like you said one feller would hold it and one would hit it, and one would stack rock, then we'd rotate.

After I got up about 12-14 yrs old no matter how we rotated the work out I still ended up either stacking or swinging.

The good part about that was that by the time I was 15 I could whup all them cousins one at a time or if they tag teamed me.

Come to think of it there's one of them cousins still left living and I think I'll go call him out. We're gonna have a walking stick duel this evening after I finish my nap if he feels like it. I'll even take a extra hearing aid battery to be sure he knows why he's gettin the beating.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community