Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Tool used to make cedar shakes
[Return to Topics]

Ted Schlueter    Posted 09-20-2002 at 13:48:43       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Does anyone out there know of a place that sells a tool to create cedar shakes? I remember seeing one once but can't remember exactly what it looked like. I am thinking of constructing a "Living History Homestead" circa late 1700's early 1800's on our 40 acre farm. Thanks for any help anyone out there can provide!

Hogman    Posted 09-20-2002 at 18:09:34       [Reply]  [No Email]
You can still find Froes at Farm sale and "JUNKAREAS" at fairly cheap prices. Not much work for a haf-fast Blacksmith ta make.

Mike D. here is a new one...    Posted 09-20-2002 at 15:29:11       [Reply]  [No Email]
Got any white oak?

Wood craft Catalog has froes on page 70...

I've been using my G'pas from time to time. A blacksmith made it for him. Good luck to you.

DeadCarp    Posted 09-20-2002 at 14:01:44       [Reply]  [No Email]
First thing you should do is cut the cedar and dry it a year. Then what you need is a splitting froe - their blade forms an L to the wooden handle and you can make an oak mallet to strike it - you prop the cedar chunk on something, give the mallet a swat and pull the handle toward you after driving the blade in. Doesn't take long to make enough shakes for a roof.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community