Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Saving dead batteries, from the archieves. Can we save $?
[Return to Topics]

Mike D.    Posted 10-04-2002 at 05:02:00       [Reply]  [No Email]
While going over the old posts in a search I found several that talked about using an electric
device that loosens and desolves the sulfur deposits that short out and ruin lead wet cell batteries.

Have any of you used one of these deals?

If they work it could save a farmer a good deal of money over a period of years. The one post said that a bettery could last 20- 70 years or so if maintained by this wave- pulser contraption.

It sure would be interesting to hear about some success with this. We got a number of batteries laying around, and need a new one now.

Mike


DK    Posted 10-04-2002 at 19:54:44       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Under perfect conditions a battery will last indefinetly. We had a battery at our University that was 40 yrs. old and still works. Trouble is no battery is used under perfect conditions. Once they go bad nothing is going to save them.


DeadCarp - battery contents?    Posted 10-04-2002 at 17:51:23       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'm no pro but let's look at these things - Lead-acid batteries contain lead plates and a solution of sulphuric acid and water, right? So as time goes by, a little water evaporates. At the same time, a little of the lead is dissolved by the sulphuric acid and crystallizes on them. BUT you don't get the lead back on the plates! After so many charges, there's less lead in the plates, so they lose capacity. They start warping until they touch other plates and short out the battery. How could anything prevent that and still get juice out of the thing?

Our local battery shop uses a really tough charger - it either fizes them or they're shot.


Kim    Posted 09-05-2007 at 21:11:34       [Reply]  [No Email]


MikeC    Posted 10-04-2002 at 10:38:43       [Reply]  [Send Email]
With all of the advances in electronics and the needs for longer lasting battery technology, if there were a legit way to make that happen it in a cost effective manor it would be all over the market and the inventor would be a multi-millionaire. Sound like the proverbial perpetual motion machine. The theory might make sense but it just isn't so.


M.D. hmm, o.k. But check it out-    Posted 10-04-2002 at 14:03:33       [Reply]  [No Email]
Mike C.,
Sorry, I can't take your say-so on this subject. Have you gone to the website and read the tech. info? I got 2 E.E.s that tell me that it is practical and being done. The site I mention in my reply to Tom has exacting details on building your own pulse generator. The facts speak stronger than opinion on this subject I believe. There are scores of postings on the site of people that have built and use these pulsers.
You may want to review the details, might just alter the outlook you got. Heck, they said the same distracting comments to Alvin Edison when he tried to trap gas in a glass glode.

P.S. I'm still hoping someone out there on this site has had hands on experience with this, or an
observation of a unit being used. I do believe that there is potential with it.

Regards-

Mike D.


I am Assuming...    Posted 10-04-2002 at 17:25:39       [Reply]  [Send Email]
That you are referring to Thomas ALVA Edison here...

Alvin Edison was one of 'The Chipmunks'.

Alvin would agree with you.

TAE would blink twice...try it...and then brood for two weeks because it sure made sense to him...then he would have forgotten it and laughed at anyone that brought it up again...

There is also some VX-6 that you can buy in JC Whitney that has been purported to do this very thing internally in the battery for about 40 years...I know 20 or so people that will sell you the half bottles that they did not use....


Tom A    Posted 10-04-2002 at 06:58:16       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Hi Mike,

I've never tried any of it, but here's my thoughts for what little they're worth:

I worked for a lot of years in the Army, and know that we went/go through lots and lots of vehicle batteries. Belive it or not, a pretty big portion of a mechanized unit's maintenance budget is spent on batteries. After leaving field duty I went into R&D and learned that DOD spends a lot of time and effort developing new/better battery technology aimed in part at producing better, longer-lived, cheaper batteries. If there was an easy fix, like these things I see advertised, DOD would have bought it years ago and spent all the savings on other things.

Finally, a couple of weeks ago, the "Car Guys" on NPR got a similar question and they were both laughing at it and said 'no way' hold onto your money.

just my thoughts, although I wish they worked as I've got a growing pile of old batteries in the shed, too.

Tom A


M.D.    Posted 10-04-2002 at 07:50:05       [Reply]  [No Email]
Hello Tom,
Seems about right with the battery expense for DOD. Surprises me that a 'cure' has not been successfully produced, however, read the following comments and observations on this site and give me your thoughts. They seem to have compelling data that leads me to believe that it might be possible to blast the crytalized sulfates with a specifically crafted pulse generator. If so, we all stand to gain by it. I think it is worth checking into.

http://www.shaka.com/~kalepa/desulf.htm



[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community