Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Weed control problem
[Return to Topics]

mamma meg    Posted 05-20-2001 at 16:04:17       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have a field of orchard grass which I cut and bailed. My problem is a type of thistle, which has really started popping up all over. What would be the best solution to rectify this problem? I wouldn't want my precious babies to get a thorn in their lip. Thanks in advance, a rookie farmer.

TomH    Posted 05-21-2001 at 16:45:12       [Reply]  [Send Email]
From your description of it popping up all over it sounds like Canada Thistle. Here's a link, but the recommended solution I found on this and every other site I looked at is to nuke it with Roundup.

Burrhead    Posted 05-21-2001 at 17:06:26       [Reply]  [No Email]
Tom if you'll notice the Ind site and the others will recommend Roundup for Roundup ready crop use.

The problem with Roundup is that it's non-selective. It will kill the orchard grass as well as kill the thistle.

2-4D is a selective herbicide. You can shoot the thistle and the orchard grass won't die. It will kill clover or other broadleaf legumes but does'nt hurt grasses.

Aaron    Posted 05-20-2001 at 19:18:11       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Remember, though, a restricted use herbicide requires a licence to buy and/or apply. That rules out Grazon unless you can find someone to do it. It does work very well though. 2,4-D is not restricted, so you can get it at any farm supply or garden supply store. Mix it at about a 2% solution in a sprayer, or 1 gallon to 100 gallons of water. 2,4-D will kill any broadleaves in the pasture, so don't use it if there are any that you want to keep. Also, don't graze for 7 days or harvest for 30 after application. Grazon doesn't have those restrictions, but it does have the restriction. Those are about the best options. By the way, the stuff city people spray on their lawns is some version of 2,4-D.

Burrhead    Posted 05-21-2001 at 17:13:45       [Reply]  [No Email]
Aaron where are you located? The only broadleaf herbicide we have here that does'nt require licence is Remedy.

Walmart sells a watered down Roundup mix that's ready to use in quarts. Even the watered down has to be in a 1 quart or less container.

You can buy all you want in the quart spray bottles at one time, but you can't buy a larger container of it. It does'nt make any sense how they licence it out.

Aaron    Posted 05-22-2001 at 16:26:14       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'm in Iowa. Roundup is sold in gallons at the local Wal Mart. It's a .96% solution. Roundup and 2,4-D are not restricted use, and no licence is needed to buy them.

Burrhead    Posted 05-20-2001 at 16:51:55       [Reply]  [No Email]
Mamma you can buy Remedy herbicide without and applicator permit. It works pretty good on thistle.

If you have a farm neighbor with a permit he might let you have enough Grazon or 2-4-D to do it, they both work better.

You're right. You need to get the thistle out before you bale again cause livestock won't eat hay with stickers unless you starve them into it.

rhudson    Posted 05-20-2001 at 19:27:48       [Reply]  [Send Email]
i use 24d and a 12volt sprayer on a golf cart. i drive, my 2 year old girl acts as lookout and my 5 year old sprays. yes, we're carefull and watch the overspray. one gallon of 65% 2-4-d cost 17.95 the same dealer sells a 2 gallon container of 24% for $34.oo. looks good until you do the math. i don't want to cause problems but their initials are Tractor Supply.

Burrhead    Posted 05-21-2001 at 06:54:26       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yeah you have to watch which jug you buy around here too, but the only choice we can get is 26% and 46.5%

The Grazon is 49.8% but 39.6% of that is 2-4-D.

Murphy    Posted 05-22-2001 at 14:11:40       [Reply]  [No Email]
Around here, (Kansas) the county is trying to get control of thistle (noxious weed dept.) I picked up 5 gallons of 2-4,D (I'll double check tonight to make certain but I think its 46%) for around $25. It would be worth a call to the county extension agent to find out what kind of thistle control programs they are running.

Burrhead    Posted 05-23-2001 at 13:43:01       [Reply]  [No Email]
Man O Man they are jacking us around here in SE Texas.

Here's the strength and price of what we get.

Grazon @49.8% is $68.00 for 2.5 gals
2-4-D @46.5% is $28.60 for 2.5 gals
Roundup @50.2% is $128.50 for 2.5 gals

They're jacking us around on the permits too. We have to have and applicators licence on them all. The extension office and Helena Chemical sales reps told me this permit is a fed requirement, but it looks like it's only a Texas thing.

I had to pay $50 and attend a 4 or 6 hrs class to get the permit, then the permitt cost $50 or so I don't rememeber exactly right now.

randy    Posted 02-05-2002 at 06:51:32       [Reply]  [Send Email]
not sure if i'm in the right area but here goes.
I have a hill side of about 2 acres that is completely over-run by briars or thorns or whatever they are called. I have been cutting them out by hand! does anyone know how to battle these things? any chemicals that will work? I live in WI. HELP!!!!

randy    Posted 02-05-2002 at 06:51:32       [Reply]  [No Email]

randy    Posted 02-05-2002 at 06:51:32       [Reply]  [No Email]

Lily Cobb    Posted 11-04-2007 at 08:12:03       [Reply]  [Send Email]
lipoclastic graphics stalagmitically ferreous talaje muktar patientness didymolite
Regina Auto Action

Natasha Whitfield    Posted 10-15-2007 at 23:37:44       [Reply]  [Send Email]
lipoclastic graphics stalagmitically ferreous talaje muktar patientness didymolite
Killer's plea: 'Give me one more chance'

Murphy    Posted 05-23-2001 at 14:14:34       [Reply]  [No Email]
I probably shouldn't tell you that my license cost $10 then should I?

At the moment, 2-4-D is used very widely and doesn't require "federal" permitting that I'm aware of. I know for certain that it didn't a couple of years back when I was doing market research in the golf industry.

Burrhead    Posted 05-24-2001 at 09:30:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
Dangit Murphy I would have felt better if you did'nt even mention it. I figered it was a Texas "thang".

The folks on the Ala and Louisiana farms don't have to have permits on some of the stuff but I did'nt know which ones. Sometimes we ship our poison in here when a truck is coming from the other farms because it's cheaper there too.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community