Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

More battery stuff.
[Return to Topics]

Mike D    Posted 11-19-2002 at 08:10:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
Well folks,
Thinking that there might be a risk of being taken as a spammer, I intentionally left the link & other info out of the post. When I ordered the pulse generator from the outfit I talked with the inventor/technician, shipping & handling clerk, and chief cook all at the same time. I like dealing with Ma & Pa outfits. Most folks like this stake their future, assets, and blood-sweat-& tears on making a go of it. I respect that.
Let me say this: I ain't no scientist. I just am now learning how to use a multi meter.
What motivated me to get into this stuff was the constant need for batteries on equipment that sits for months at a time. All my friends and neighbors have batteries layin around here and there. Looks to me like we are all in the same boat on this problem.
The most recent catalog from some northern tool outfit has a wave pulse generator in it. I don't know a thing about theirs. I believe they call theirs a battery conditioner. The Farm Show Magazine had an article about a small company that builds one. This one mounts on the firewall of a truck, or tractor. The factory for this unit is in Texas. It is a permanent deal that runs all the time. They sell theirs for $160 or so.
When I first hooked up my oldest junk battery it had less than a 1 volt in it. The meter read .3 when I put the battery up on the bench. After the wave pulse generator had time to do its thing I put a trickle charger on it using 2 amps. After 48 hours the battery read 11.87 volts.
Then after sitting another week or so it still read 11.76 volts. I have not tried to crank a diesel with it. But hope to in the next week or two. When that happens I'll let everyone know how it turns out. If I got egg on my face I'll be the first one to admit it.

The battery is a group 27 size that must be 8-9 years old. It came in a crawler I bought used. It held up for about a year and we put it in a shed and forgot about it. The case was in good shape. If the battery case is buldged out it won't work. I put distilled water into the cells before hooking up the wave pulse generator.

If any of you folks are considering this thing then make sure that the battery you use is not buldged out. If they have ever been frozen they won't work with this process.

More later- hope ya'll are doing o.k. Mike D.


fw    Posted 11-20-2002 at 10:58:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
just out o curyisity does the wave pulse gen. charge the battery or do you still hook it up to a charger.


Stmar    Posted 11-20-2002 at 14:37:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
You still have to hook it up to a charger after desulfation (yes that's a word).


Stmar-WY    Posted 11-19-2002 at 12:45:04       [Reply]  [No Email]
Mike, Look at this web page http://www.shaka.com/~kalepa/desulf.htm
It has a lot of info and links to other sites. Looks like you hit on the subject du-jour. I just ordered new power system and went with the Concorde batteries I told you about earlier, I like the no maintenance aspect of the Concordes. Surprising how many batteries you have around a place when you start counting, we have 14 and there's just two of us!!


Bob/Ont    Posted 11-19-2002 at 08:43:13       [Reply]  [No Email]
Mike at least you got it to take in some charge. Now to see if it is okay to use get some one to load test it for you. ( Measuering voltage while loading the battery with a resistor across the posts)
Later Bob


Hogman*****all very interestin and hope it keeps go'in to a happy endin    Posted 11-19-2002 at 16:06:40       [Reply]  [No Email]
Stead of a resister I came up with usin a sealed beam headlight bulb that just happened ta be layin around loose in tha shop. Soldered fairly long leads to it with alligater clips. Brightness is a pretty good voltage indicater or for a "good" check hook up tha light'n use a multi'meter( what ever that is) :>) ta get an accurate readin. Too, it makes a dandy visul tracer/trouble shooter.

I made it up out of desprite need at tha moment and just laid it away.Sometime later dug it out again and it now lives along side tha main battry recuperator thingie in tha shop, use it often.


Hogman*** A POST SCRIPT    Posted 11-19-2002 at 16:14:41       [Reply]  [No Email]
One thing that light is used for quit often,after a bttry has set for a while some times it will show full charge or just won't do anything. I can whack it with tha light and wake it up,most times just a coupla flashs will do tha trick and it will start charging just fine.

Another one if that don't work I get tha "mighty Mo" and whang it with 250 amps. Belive some one wrote about that long time back,anyway I guess it blows all tha crud off tha plates or just scares tha thing inta believin You an't in a foolin round mood.


Eric.....no really thats my name !!    Posted 11-19-2002 at 19:46:53       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Years when I was a youngun,I bought a fishin boat(A whole 12 feet) and couldnt afford a DEEP cycle battery. So I found one for free(truck) It was deader than dead.Decided theres got to be a reason they die. Took it and drilled holes in it to drain old acid(maint free type), and disposed of acid properly. rinsed out the battery shell and found some electrolite(the official name for batt acid) and refilled it. Got 2.4v for my trouble. being stubborn I charged it up and found I had a whole 12v !! YEE HA BABY LETS DO SOME WORK. Not so fast. Put a load on it (sealed beam) and it died quick. rember i told you i am stubborn ? well i charged it again and the lightbulb stayed lit for 3 minutes. WOW I can go fishin three minutes at a time. charged it again, got the light lit for ten min. dad said ITS A WASTE OF TIME!! I got mad and dropped the thing on the floor. resumed trial and error a few days later without further charging lit the light for FOUR HOURS !! soon the light took too long to killit and i started using the trolling motor in a beertub. First tine got ten mins(motor draws about 10-12 amp continous. charge again, motor ran for 1 hour. now were gettin some where. soon it would hold a charge long enuf that this got boring so i put it in the boat. Ran that battery every weekend for three years without a hitch. see when theres a load on the battery the lead comes of the plates and goes into the acid, until the acid is neutralized. when you charge it the acid recollects on the plates. when hnot cared for properly the lead starts to fall out of suspension and settles in the bottom of the case. when enuf collects in the bottom the battery gets shorted and wont make juice any more. when i got mad and dropped it on the floor the sediment got stirred up and wasnt shorting out the plates anymore. cycling(charging and discharging) helps get the lead off the bottom and back on the plates. Thus the battery works again. try taking you battery(dead) and roll it on the floor, charge it, shake it, charge it discharge and recharge. If you get better numbers keep doin it until it works again. scoff if you will but those fanck thingamabobs are just gettin the batt stirred up in side while charging and discharging it . PHEW THATS A LOT OF TYPIN !!! Good luk in everything you do, Eric....cause it's my name


Hogman***Hey there it's My name,makes sense    Posted 11-19-2002 at 23:24:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
Now that Ya mention it blastin a bttry with humongus amounts of amps would make tha thing boil like a stew pot and stir all tha debris from tha bottom. Only a little safer'n droppin it,mabe?

Btrys can do strange things, I've had two cases of reverse polarity and one that decided it was AC. The reversers just switched,one was corrected by repeated blasts of 150 amps 24 volt,gave up on tha other one and got it exchanged under warrenty. Tha AC one was old when it "mutated" , would lite a head lite sorta,showed nothin on DC but 12V AC without any load. Feller that owned tha local "rob Ya of Your money with a Tractor stead of a pistol" said He had seen it befor. Most folks just shake Their heads'n make funny eyeball movements.

Tha old hand crank phones We had used #6 dry cells and when They'd poop out We'd poke holes thru tha case top,dig a pocket in tha stuffins and pour table salt in em and They'd come bach ta life for a little while,also would put em in tha cook stove oven in winter time and jazz em up. I have no idea where tha salt thing came from except My Dad was signal maintainer on a stretch of UP RRY up in Wy back in tha teens and expect He learned it there.


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community