Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Old Timers what kind of Plow?? Picture
[Return to Topics]

Willy-N    Posted 11-29-2002 at 18:46:39       [Reply]  [No Email]
I picked up this old plow bottom and been looking for days to find how it was used!! It has Patend 1876 on one side but no name? I think it would be a Horse Drawn Plow but a part is missing the attachment set up. Anyone know out there, seen or know the name (Moldboard Plow I think). Any help. Thanks, Mark H.

Willy-N    Posted 11-30-2002 at 09:04:06       [Reply]  [No Email]
Well I will have to look for some letters on it now along with getting some measurements off it. Hard finding pictures of these on the net that are clear or not hand drawn. Now I have some different names to look for. Thanks, Mark H.

Coaltrain    Posted 11-30-2002 at 07:27:57       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have to agree with Hogman. We still use and are always on the look out for ridding plows and any horse drawn tools. It looks to me like the plow was taken from the frame and wheels, the beam on top was held with clams you tightend however hard you wanted it to hold when you hit a stump. Really cain't tell from picture that much but it may have been a frame where you could sit the wheels in and out and change mowboard size ot to a lester. Just a thought. Coaltrain

Ron/PA    Posted 11-30-2002 at 03:26:47       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Hi Mark, yep thats a moleboard plow, the top part is the moleboard,(as in a mole digging in the dirt) the bottom part is a plow share, it is made to be replaced, as it will take most of the wear.
Some have replacement shins, which bolt on vertically down the front of the board. If you clean up the back side you should be able to find an indication of the maker, JD, IH or others.
As far as being horse drawn? I really can't tell but I would assume it was. The missing parts? they are the wheels and lift assembly, or the handles. This one looks a little big to be a 2 handled walk behind. Maybe a wheeled plow.
We still have 3 or 4 JD horse drawn plows 1 and 2 bottom here on the farm, and we used them alot until the late 60's and sometimes drag them out and tear up a garden with them just to keep them from rusting away. Parts are still available for them around here as the Amish still use them to plow.
Good luck

Hogman*********Mark, unless    Posted 11-29-2002 at 22:28:09       [Reply]  [No Email]
it was pulled spicifically by ufo's it was a horse drawn plow tho certainly could have used mules or oxen but under normal conditions it would be "horse drawn".
The part that bolted on was the "tongue",and by vertue of it's being bolted "May" have been a "Bull tongue" plow. These plows to tha best of My not too vast knowledge were all eguiped with wooden ,replaceable tongues. They were again accordin to My NTVK used for breakin "new ground" which was land that had been cleared but would have stumps still in ground.

I only remember one time of usin one of them. We had cleared off a little patch where tha woods had sorta reclaimed some of a field. We borrowed tha plow,I used it but don't remember exactly how tha tongue was attached other than it had some sort of breakaway so if You hit a stump it wouldn't tear anything up like a steel beam plow will.

Time permittin I'll search tha archives'n mabe come up with somthin better,got one on antique tools'n equipment somewhere I think?

Sid    Posted 11-29-2002 at 21:42:58       [Reply]  [No Email]
Mark did a little research. John Deere built his first steel plow in 1837. Deere and Co. was formed in 1868. His first patent was 1864. You have a good piece of history. Not saying it is a Deere could find nothing in pictures that looked like yours the closest I found was called a PA plow, and it was on wheels, but could not see the moalboard enough to tell if it was same as yours.

Sid    Posted 11-29-2002 at 21:17:11       [Reply]  [No Email]
Mark several years ago when I lived in WA. state I saw a horse drawn plow along with several other pieces of horse drawn equipment. From what I can remember I think that is what you have. do not know any thing else about it though.

Willy-N Here is Picture of it    Posted 11-29-2002 at 19:31:21       [Reply]  [No Email]

I must of forgot to post it??? Mark H.

DeadCarp    Posted 11-30-2002 at 06:29:04       [Reply]  [No Email]
It looks like the moldboard off a breaking plow - they were built sturdy like that without provisions for a coulter. They were pretty simple rigs, a pair of handles for steering, moldboard for turning the soil and the tongue had different holes for controling depth with different horses. The coulter (if any - a vertical blade that split the soil) was mounted on the tongue. Great brush-rippers if ya got the draft-ponies to pull them. :)

BTW, earlier moldboards really were boards.

Jefferson's moldboard plow --

Willy-N Another angle of it.    Posted 11-29-2002 at 19:46:20       [Reply]  [No Email]

Here is a angle that shows the top where it bolts on to??? Mark H.

Ron/PA    Posted 11-29-2002 at 19:00:01       [Reply]  [No Email]
Mark, am I missing the pic, or do I have a problem loading it?

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community