Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

LP gas reglators
[Return to Topics]

buck    Posted 12-17-2002 at 15:17:45       [Reply]  [No Email]

Can anyone give me a little lesson on the application of LP regulators. My knowledge thus far is that the outdoor grill has one that came with it.Previous house had firelogs that county required a pro. to install and my present house has firelogs that I installed but I bought the regulator when I purcased the logs(Lowes) I am presently connecting a set of firelogs at my daughters house which I installed 2 years ago when we built the house. Lowes no longer sells the regulators sent me to gas co.Gas co. sends me to hardware.Hardware said everything they sell comes with regulator so what do I want so I say give me a fixed low pressure regulator. Am I wrong (probably) or will this work.

buck    Posted 12-17-2002 at 18:48:02       [Reply]  [No Email]

Hey THANKS everyone for the replies, knowledge and concerns. I have been searching the web and finally called a gas pro and he set me straight and will be doing the final check afterI get everything connected. This set up is a 100lb tank outside with regulator outside feeding a set of vent-free fire logs (mainly used for backup heat during power outage) The gas pro said nothing less than a two stage regulator and considerng the BOOM factor that is what will be used.BTW he did inform me that the single stage low pressure that I had purchased (sorta like the ones on an outdoor grill) were the ones most often used in the past.More concers for safety and liability thess days. Again thanks all

cornfused    Posted 12-17-2002 at 18:14:33       [Reply]  [No Email]
If you are using propane from a tank there should be a regulator before it enters the house. Your propane supplier should have the regulator available. If you are using natural gas it should be regulated at the meter and not feeding the house with more tnan 4 ounces as a norm thus no regulator is needed at the appliance unless the manufacturer called for a different pressure in which case the regulator will be with the appliance or built into the controls. Contact your supplier in either case and have them check the pressure at the appliance before you connect it. If you overpressure the control it will damage it.

TB    Posted 12-17-2002 at 17:49:32       [Reply]  [No Email]
I am confused I always thought that the regulator went at the tank and a controll valve goes at the fire place or firelogs.

DeadCarp    Posted 12-17-2002 at 17:26:49       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'm a bit confused - Big-tank LP normally has 2 line regulators - the high-pressure one feeds the main line and the low-pressure one feeds an appliance line - neither one is used AT the appliance. Small-tank assemblies like barbeques and fish-house heaters have a tank-top regulator and valve attached to a supply line. Sure you're not looking for a valve, buck?

Don't know much    Posted 12-17-2002 at 17:26:44       [Reply]  [No Email]
O.K. Buck, someone is going to answer amd make mine look dumb, but here it is.
I use propane and the 250 gal. tank has a fixed regulator that lets out 14 lbs.(I think). I could well be wrong on the pressure, but it is low. The grills do about the same, but my fish cooker has a variable regulator. The last time I was in Walmart they had grill hose with the regulator attached. Final word, if it goes boom and whoose, you got too much pressure. Be careful.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community