Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Pressure cooker and canner questions
[Return to Topics]

wildflower    Posted 06-17-2001 at 07:39:09       [Reply]  [No Email]
Have an old pressure cooker I picked up recently and wanted to find out more on it.Names wore off but ended in ..MAID.It's oval.

Anyone know about it?

Got a canner with it.Two for one.Canner was what I was wanting,to run two canners at the same time when processing foods.It was missing the weight.It's a Presto.Online source for parts,anyone know?

Thanks much.

Ned Clark    Posted 12-13-2008 at 10:05:24       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have an oval Minute Maid pressure cooker in nice condition but it's missing the needle valve. If you ever want to sell yours, I'd be interested.

Vicky    Posted 03-14-2009 at 08:08:24       [Reply]  [Send Email]
What are these pressure cookers worth. I have a stainless steel one with the minutemaid on it. Please reply. Thank you

Susan Uptain    Posted 05-24-2008 at 14:43:04       [Reply]  [Send Email]
My mom has the old pressure cooker with the Patent# 1901699. She is still using it but it needs a new seal. The diameter of the seal is 13 inches. If anyone could tell me where she might could locate one your help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg    Posted 09-02-2009 at 18:15:35       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I read your email, and I have a minitmaid preasure cooker as well. I came to the point where I needed a new gasket and I went to the auto supply store and found the paper gasket material. I traced the old gasket and cut out a new one. i have been using my minitmaid ever since with no problems. Make sure that you get the brown paper gasket material.

Greg    Posted 09-02-2009 at 18:14:51       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I read your email, and I have a minitmaid preasure cooker as well. I came to the point where I needed a new gasket and I went to the auto supply store and found the paper gasket material. I traced the old gasket and cut out a new one. i have been using my minitmaid ever since with no problems. Make sure that you get the brown paper gasket material.

Lloyd J. Maddox    Posted 06-12-2008 at 12:27:39       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have an old Burpee pressure canner with the same Pat# on the lid. It doesn't have a gasket. The lid seals with the bottom like a valve in a car engine. I use a fine valve grinding compound to smooth the mating surfaces occasionally.

christine wedam    Posted 11-22-2008 at 09:00:51       [Reply]  [Send Email]
looking for a ruber seal bestmade # 721

Jerry    Posted 08-23-2007 at 10:06:04       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have an old (unknown) canner also. It is a Burpee, Aristocrat Cooker. It was made by the Burpee Can Sealer Company in Barrington, Illinois; patent number 1901699.

I also have an old pressure cooker (oval), which has the metal disc screw-type weight regulator. I can't find any markings on this one. I have shown both of these cookers to some of the old-timers around town, and, none have ever even seen one like the oval cooker.

Just wondering if anyone can give me a site to go to, where I might get information on both; as well as possible value.

Thanks Much

Opal Hartness    Posted 06-28-2009 at 10:54:41       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have a Burpee Aristocrat Cooker Pat. no. 1901699 I received it when a neighbor passed away and I would like to try to use it but I am afraid to try it. Any suggestions?

BROCK    Posted 02-02-2009 at 08:26:24       [Reply]  [Send Email]

Linda Eatmon    Posted 07-15-2009 at 13:12:37       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I also have a Burpee pressure canner that I inherited from my mother. I would like to know where I can get parts for the steam release valve and where I can get the pressure gage tested. It is patent number 1901699. This must have been popular in it's day.

Doris    Posted 03-31-2008 at 13:03:40       [Reply]  [Send Email]
HI I recently aquired a Burpee Pat No 1901699.
Have you found any further info that you could share with me? I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

Marie    Posted 07-24-2009 at 13:27:45       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Good news. I found a place to make the gasket for the Burpee canner and it works (I have just finished a canner). Contact Mike Smith at Rubber Hose and Gasket Company, Inc. 759 Lakeside Drive, Mobile, Al 36693. Office 251-666-7400 fax 251-66607403. He kept the measurements from my lid when he made it and mine works fine. He said he would make them ands mail them to you.

Marie    Posted 07-24-2009 at 13:30:36       [Reply]  [Send Email]
sorry that fax number is 251-666-7403 for the Burpee gaskets. If you know of any other websites where they are searching for this gasket please forward the info cause I am one happy camper to be able to use my Burpee again.

Marie    Posted 07-16-2009 at 20:51:48       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have the old Burpee aristocrat canner and I absolutely love it. I need a gasket but can't find one so I just keep using the old one until it totally won't work any more. I have canned for the last 5 years in it since it was given to me by an elderly lady. It does a wonderful job. Anybody know where I can get a gasketz???

Leslee    Posted 07-22-2009 at 11:50:46       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I too have a Burpee Artistocratic cooker # 1901699.

I am also looking for a replacement gasket. Has anyone located one that fits?? I love this canner it was my grandmas and I have used it for years. I am hoping that another brand- perhaps Presto - will/can/might fit??


Jennifer    Posted 05-28-2008 at 13:57:39       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have the same cooker. Name and pat #. It was my grandmothers (passed away). THe cooker needs a new seal and knob (on lid). Husband said we should be able to use red RTV (used for replacement seals in engines and transmissions. We used it to seal a leaking transmission so I suppose it would work for a canner also. They both are under great pressure!!

jane    Posted 07-23-2008 at 08:18:55       [Reply]  [Send Email]
what is red rtv, i am not familiar, is it a gasket or liquid

Lee Anfinson    Posted 07-25-2008 at 09:44:02       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Don't even think of useing Red RTV on a canner! It's not for use with things like this. Somebody will get scalded with hot water!

GrandmasCooking    Posted 01-12-2007 at 22:04:30       [Reply]  [Send Email]
For all concerned: In my 50+/- years of using pressure cookers, they all used a "15 pound" weight gizmo, as u might call it. Be it a "Mirro", "Presto", or whatever, they all fit each other! They just look different! But all work the same. Now, if you are using it as a canner, then you really need a "dial guage" type weight, e.g., one that lets you see at a glance (and regulate) your desired pressure.

But the standard "15 pound" weight is standard for any pressure cooker and that's what most pressure cooker recipes are based upon.

At one time, one manufacturer made a round, disk-like weight that had different weights marked around it. I believe it was "Mirro" or maybe known as "Mirro Magic or Matic" that made it. The weight was marked (if memory serves me right) 5, 10 and 15 pounds, depending on which hole set atop the stem vent of the cooker.

In any case, 15 pounds is the standard in the US as far as I know, hope this helps yall!

Peace Not War    Posted 08-11-2006 at 10:00:33       [Reply]  [Send Email] does not carry parts for Kook Kwick. Any other ideas? I have a 7-16 model.

Will    Posted 09-14-2002 at 16:46:06       [Reply]  [No Email]
The maid part is the brand "Minute Made" You can get parts for pressure cookers at it a great place to get them. look up Presto then go from there.

Vance    Posted 10-02-2008 at 10:47:53       [Reply]  [Send Email]
The best place to find parts for old pressure cookers and pressure canners is Cooking and Canning Co.

Will    Posted 09-14-2002 at 16:43:47       [Reply]  [No Email]
The maid part is the brand "Minute Made" You can get parts for pressure cookers at it a great place to get them. look up Presto then go from there.

Will    Posted 09-14-2002 at 16:42:55       [Reply]  [No Email]
The maid part is the brand "Minute Made" You can get parts for pressure cookers at it a great place to get them. look up Presto then go from there.

wildflower    Posted 06-18-2001 at 18:13:43       [Reply]  [No Email]
Thanks all.I looked at the site and I'll check at the farm supply but don't have much success usually.Not as complete an inventory locally,I'm afraid. No good hardware store.Not like other places I've lived-You know the kind of place,mom & pop place packed to the ceiling with all sorts of good stuff.Don't have that here.

Odd but true.Never could figger it out,since this is the most rural of all the country places I've lived since I grew up and moved away from home.Don't know...Wallyworld has taken over.

Salmoneye    Posted 06-18-2001 at 05:20:20       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Hey Wildflower!

The 'Maid' pressure cookers I am familiar with are 'Mirro-Maid'.
I have one or two around here. I also have 4-5 nice old Prestos from the 40's. I pick up everyone I see at lawn sales and the parts are readilly available around here at hardware stores and even saw some at home depot once...

cindy    Posted 03-30-2003 at 21:27:25       [Reply]  [Send Email]

Just inherited a Wear-Ever Pressure Cooker it belongs to my grandmother and it is in perfect condition except for the gasket. Can anyone help me find a replacement gasket. The model number on the bottom of the cooker is Wear-Ever Model #3637. I have no idea how old this model is.

Thank You

bill b va    Posted 06-17-2001 at 20:10:08       [Reply]  [Send Email]

most good hardware stores have parts in stock . specialy rural areas

Burrhead    Posted 06-17-2001 at 08:33:15       [Reply]  [No Email]
Wildflower there was once a company that made that sort of things years ago, but I could'nt find any info on them. The name of the one I know about was "American-Maid".

Here's a link to a Presto parts dealer. I would imagine the weight you are talking about is the pressure regulator. Hope this helps. Jerry

Donna Hill    Posted 08-29-2002 at 15:45:32       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have a pressure cooker that belonged to my husband's grandma. I need to find a new gasket for it. All the information that I have off of the lid is: Kook Kwick, Bestmade, 7-21. Does anyone know where you can get replacement gaskets for something like this? Thanks for the help!

Ruth Jones    Posted 08-01-2005 at 14:29:16       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I too am looking for a gasket for my Mom's Kook Kwick 15 pressure cooker. Did you have any luck in getting one and if so where did you get it?

Melvin A Dittus    Posted 04-06-2003 at 11:32:45       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I also have a kook-kwick bestmade 7-21 preasure cooker ,And I need a gasket,and I would like to know about the pressure valve ,My valve is loss not atached to the lit Just sets on top of a stem. Sure would like to here from somebody.. Mel

Deb    Posted 05-06-2006 at 12:05:59       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have a kook kwi 15 for sale in excellent condition.

Lou Micheletto    Posted 10-07-2002 at 06:04:21       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have a Bestmade ook Kwick model No.7-16. The glass on the pressure dial cracked in a recent move.
Does anyone have an idea where I could get a new gauge?

dayton    Posted 11-26-2006 at 09:29:21       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I also have a Bestmade, Kool-Kwick 7-16. I could use a new seal. Any suggestions.

Smithsandr    Posted 06-07-2007 at 09:04:47       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I also have a Kook Kwick by BESTMADE no. 7-16, did anyone find new gaskets or any available parts? thanks.

bill    Posted 07-02-2007 at 08:57:12       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Well I have had really excellent luck over the years making my own gaskets out of automotive gasket material. just have to measure or trace and cut carefully. Of course the gasketing material comes in different thicknesses so you have to be careful about having too thick of a gasket

John    Posted 09-10-2007 at 08:50:54       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I think that the gasket/seal that you are referring to can be found at this webpage:

Good luck!

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community