Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

[Return to Topics]

VKG    Posted 01-01-2003 at 14:52:48       [Reply]  [No Email]
What does USDA inspected mean? Is a process from slaughter to package? What would it mean in relation to beef? Thanks..

Tom A    Posted 01-02-2003 at 06:22:30       [Reply]  [Send Email]
FYI. I cut the following statement from the USDA's website about food safety:

"All beef found in retail stores is either USDA inspected for wholesomeness or inspected by state systems which have standards equal to the Federal government. Each steer and its internal organs are inspected for signs of disease. The "Passed and Inspected by USDA" seal insures the beef is wholesome and free from disease."

There is also information there about what the USDA grading means, too, which might interest you. You can find it by going to USDA.GOV and following the food safety links.

Tom A

JoeK    Posted 01-01-2003 at 15:59:39       [Reply]  [No Email]
I believe the charter of the USDA requires them to be the in charge of maintaining a safe and healthy food supply.They are the ones that set the laws and regulations for defining the processes used,sanitary condition,handling,storage etc.MY take on this is that Major Packers have USDA inspectors "in-house" supervising operations,smaller markets/ cutters are regularly inspected and if standards are met consistantly,allowed to use the USDA stamp showing their compliance.In beef,I believe these standards would apply from the kill chute to final packaging and storage.As with most gov't agencies one would have to wade thru a mountain of paper to cover the fine points.

Maggie/TX    Posted 01-01-2003 at 15:30:19       [Reply]  [No Email]
I think it means United States Department of Agriculture.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community