Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Pressure cooker
[Return to Topics]

Dave    Posted 01-15-2003 at 06:38:50       [Reply]  [No Email]
My wife was cookin a roast last night and the little rubber thing (relief valve?) blew out of the pressure cooker right before she thought the weight should start jigglin. Well, she put it back in and checked to make sure that the hole where the weight goes was clear and it was. Fired it up again and it happened again. So, the hole is clear and she was using the correct weight for that cooker. Do we just throw it away and buy another cooker or what?


Here's one link    Posted 01-16-2003 at 04:00:32       [Reply]  [No Email]
This isn't Mirro, but they supply parts for Mirro and lots of other brands *and* they have the *instructions* too, in case anybody needs instructions for their cooker. I had an Aunt get hurt badly (years ago) when hers blew up, so I have a healthy respect for them...please read the instructions so nobody gets hurt.

Tom A

uh, you might want to    Posted 01-15-2003 at 17:34:09       [Reply]  [No Email]
check the hole in the stem that the weight rests on to make sure it's clear. If so, replace the plug as the others suggested.

bill b va    Posted 01-15-2003 at 09:56:53       [Reply]  [No Email]

besides being a safety the primary purpose this valve is to vent the air out of the pressure cooker prior to being pressurized .

Salmoneye    Posted 01-15-2003 at 07:19:19       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Like Tom said...meant to blow and replaceable...

They even still make parts for the oldest Prestos...had a link, but darned if I can find it...

Kentucky Gal    Posted 01-15-2003 at 18:20:08       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Salmoneye, if you find that link for the older pressure cookers, please forward that to me. I got my Grandmother's cooker when she passed away 3 years ago. It's a big one. I wish I could say I have as many years doing that as she did. I am using a newer one I bought a couple years ago. We enjoy putting up our own food.

Dave    Posted 01-15-2003 at 20:04:30       [Reply]  [No Email]
Check out the link below. They have parts for older cookers. Look on the bottom of yours for make and model.

Tom A    Posted 01-15-2003 at 06:57:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
The little rubber thing is basically a just-in-case emergency valve. It is a one time use item! Once it blows it is no good any more, but you can get extras and they're not expensive.

The instructions with my cooker say to inspect it periodically, and they recommend replacing it annually because the rubber changes with age.

So don't throw the pot away, but dont use it until you get a new rubber plug.


Dave    Posted 01-15-2003 at 08:29:34       [Reply]  [No Email]
Thanks, I found one here we are going to check next time we're at walmart before we order one.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community