Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Shocking unwanted fish in a private pond
[Return to Topics]

Bobby in Alabama    Posted 02-01-2003 at 19:14:00       [Reply]  [Send Email]
To remove unwanted fish speicies in a private pond, I have heard of using a wire attached to a spark plug or condenser on a gas engine and the other end placed in the water causing them to float to the surface. Then unwanted spoeices (crappie) can be netted out allowing the others to remain. Anyone used this method or anything similar? I don't want to drain the lake and start over.

Larry's Bro'    Posted 02-03-2003 at 07:59:41       [Reply]  [No Email]
Hmmmm......I'm not sure why anyone would want to get rid of Crappie. They are a pretty prized fish here in Wisconsin. Most, if not all, state Fish & Game departments use shocking to stun fish for population counts and such. I've only heard of the telephone method of shocking by unscrupulous "anglers", which I know here in Wisconsin ranks right up there with dynomite in being highly illegal. If you want to keep things more on the legal side, I would contact my Fish & Game department for advice. The size of the pond is a factor in how to remove unwanted fish. If the pond is small enough, a large seine net could be used. In Wisconsin they would probably recommend poisoning the whole thing with rotenone and restocking if the pond is too large for seining. They issue hatchery permits to landowners who want to stock their private ponds, but the fish have to be purchased from private fish hatcheries.

Marianne    Posted 02-02-2003 at 07:31:54       [Reply]  [Send Email]
My husbad says to give us your address and we will spend a couple days there fishing...We also fish lake Okechobee...Spent 3 months there this last year.....Best darn eating there is Crappie

joe bateman    Posted 05-18-2004 at 16:20:27       [Reply]  [Send Email]
we would like to know what we can use or make to shock fish in our ponds

Mudcat49    Posted 02-02-2003 at 05:50:50       [Reply]  [No Email]
WAIT A MINUTE! Yew want to git rid of crappie, we call 'em speckled perch down here on Lake Okeechobee. They are the #1 game fish here, more People come here to fish for them than they do for bass. But since yew want to git rid of 'em, this is wot yew dew. Yew git a bunch of people from Ky.,Oh., In., Ill. etc to come there and fish for them, they will catch them and filet them and haul them back north in freezers in their motorhomes!(that's wot they dew here!)

Burlgoat    Posted 02-02-2003 at 11:55:08       [Reply]  [No Email]
Hey, Mudcat! Maybe the ole' boy from Allybamie is wanting to stock his pond with Carp since he don't like Crappie. What do you thank? I hears they eats them dern Carp in Allybamie.

You forgot Texas...    Posted 02-02-2003 at 09:54:30       [Reply]  [Send Email]
No better eatin'...Lynch

Okie-Dokie    Posted 02-02-2003 at 04:02:07       [Reply]  [No Email]
Years ago we used to "telephone" fish. We used an old hand cranked telephone with a wire attatched then placed in the tank. seemed to work ok. Don't try this on public land because it is against the law.

joyce hanan    Posted 07-13-2007 at 18:55:12       [Reply]  [Send Email]
How did you rig your telephone up to get the fish to surface. I have and old crank telephone and i have so fish i want out of my pond.

DeadCarp    Posted 02-01-2003 at 19:43:10       [Reply]  [No Email]
Our DNR uses electricity to stun trout for milking and fish counts - they have a great survival rate so that's good news. They use a tough generator tho, and jolt the tar outa themselves sometimes. If ya can find a Model T coil or somesuch, that should slow them down. Or borrow a dragnet. Hey, maybe your game & fish people would want them ..... :)

Larry    Posted 02-01-2003 at 19:43:06       [Reply]  [Send Email]

The DNR uses the same thing to take fish counts in lakes and streams. My brother use to do this when he was in collage working an internship for the DNR. I'll see if I can get him to post here and answer any of your questions.

Jim in Michigan    Posted 02-01-2003 at 19:34:05       [Reply]  [No Email]
Try dynamite,,,or a lil carbide lol...Jim

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community