Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Water Well - Electrical Pumbing
[Return to Topics]

Gyp-Wy    Posted 03-02-2003 at 10:05:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
My water well is about 350' from the house. The pressure switch is at the well head. Would it be better to put the pressure switch in the house, close to the pressure tank? I am also running a deep well transformer (120v to 240v) that is in the house by my electrical panel. Would it be advantageous to have that transformer at the well head?

Jimbob    Posted 03-02-2003 at 18:36:29       [Reply]  [No Email]
It appears the transformer is 120vac input & 240vac output or that is how you explained it. It is better to have higher voltage or a 240vac well pump motor with such a long distance to the pump. The voltage is then double with the amps one-half at the higher voltage. The less amps allows less voltage drop in the wire from your electrical panel to the well. An AC motor starting up takes up to 7 times the running (operating) amps, thus the 240 vac is much better on the pump for starting & a little better for running. If I am correct figuring out your transformer connection, why not just connect the pump direct to 240 vac in the panel? About 99% of homes have 240/120 vac. Old electrical services back in the 1930s & earlier were at times 120 vac. It does not really matter were the pressure switch is as long as it is set for the pressure you require.

Gyp    Posted 03-03-2003 at 10:54:23       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have solar/wind/battery power and the inverter produces 120 VAC so that is why I need the transformer for my 240V pump. Thanks for the input.

Willy-N    Posted 03-02-2003 at 11:49:57       [Reply]  [No Email]
Location of the presure switch depends on the head on the pipe for the settings. Like on my well 350 ft deep the switch is at the pump casing and the tank is up at the house. Easy to adjust and all my electrical in next to the well. Dosen't madder where the switch is but in my case I have to go up hill to the house about 30 ft of head to the higest level of water usage in the house. So I have to set my presure switch to 75 psi to get aprox 50psi in the house to over come the loss of head going up the hill. If it was at the house it would be set at 50 psi. Not sure what you mean by the deep well transformer are you talking about the control box? Or was the wireing for the old pump 120 volts and you need to step it up?? Mark H.

T16    Posted 03-02-2003 at 10:32:03       [Reply]  [No Email]
My well is about 350 from the house too, pressure switch is at the pressure tank, but its all the same pressure so I cant see what difference it would make where its located. as fer the transformer. mine is a submersable 220v pump, no transformer, just hook it up.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community