Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Also Got an Electrical Question
[Return to Topics]

slim    Posted 03-04-2003 at 11:05:39       [Reply]  [Send Email]
The electrical questions down the page got me to thinking and I'm going to ask a question that I think I already know the answer to. I'm going to run 6-3 with ground from my house to my storage building next week. I'm going to put it in plastic conduit for the whole run (only 25 feet) underground.

My question is do I need to use wire that is rated for direct burial since I will run it in pvc conduit that I will glue together? I will only need about 45 feet of wire total from panel to panel. Got to have conduit protection since I'm running through a flower bed for about a third of the way and will probably put in another flower bed that will cover another quarter to one third. Don't ever want someone hitting the line with a shovel while digging out a big shrub after several years. Cost difference between direct burial and the other is only about 76 cents per foot.

Thanks very much.


slim    Posted 03-05-2003 at 04:38:07       [Reply]  [No Email]
Thanks very much for the input. I have a tendency to over kill to try and be safe. I also have a good friend who has been an electrician for over 40 years who is going to look over my shoulder. He just wasn't available.

Thanks again.


Farmer Tom    Posted 03-04-2003 at 12:59:55       [Reply]  [No Email]
In my area it would go like this: PVC Schedule 40 buried with a mininum cover of 18 inches (NEC Table 300-5) with conductors listed for "wet" locations (NEC 300-5(D)(5). If in galvanized rigid or intermediate metal conduit (GRC/IMC) the burial depth would be 6 inches (NEC Table 300-5). If direct burial cable is used (Type UF), the burial depth would be 24 inches of cover required (NEC Table 300-5). Here, a romex type cable (Type NM, NMC, NMS) would not be permitted to be put inside a buried conduit run.
I DO SUGGEST: 1)-contact local electrical inspection agency for local "do's & do not's" for the complete installation; 2)-take a look at NEC-2002, Article 310 (or the NEC version [if it is] enforced in your area); 3)-because of specific grounding requirements at the second building and main disconnect rules, I would strongly urge you to get with a knowledgable electrican or electrical contractor. Please keep in mind, there are a lot of other NEC "Code" rules that also apply that are not even mentioned here.(The standard Disclaimer is hereby envoked!)

Willy-N    Posted 03-04-2003 at 12:16:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yes you do not need URD Cable if it is a continous section of pipe box to box. And the code wants you not to use URD in conduit unless it starts in the dirt or is going into the dirt or free air like a weather head because of the rating of the insulation on it. Mark H.

Farmer Tom    Posted 03-04-2003 at 13:05:42       [Reply]  [No Email]
In our area "URD" (Underground Residential/rural Distribution) cable is not usable for premises wiring unless it also has a conductor type insulation listing on it recognized by the NEC.

Willy-N    Posted 03-04-2003 at 13:30:04       [Reply]  [No Email]
Ya that is the stuff the power company gets to use since they sorta got a special section on there rules they follow and since they over see the use and maintance of it. Kind of hard keeping up with all these rules since I sorta been out of it for about 8 years now and sure there was a couple of code books issued in there some where. Check the code for me on the direct bury cable in continious run conduit for me if you could. Thanks, Mark H.

Farmer Tom    Posted 03-04-2003 at 13:58:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
I do not think a Code violation would exist if a Type UF cable was pulled into a continous underground conduit run from points "A" to "B" since in this case the conuit would in reality be more of a sleeve (although still a conduit run subject to the installatrion rules of such); but, however, then there is the conduit fill to consider! I would think that 3 or 4 Type THWN conductors would be cheaper, easier and more practical to install than using a UF cable, but that's up to the person putting it together. Years ago, UF cable was available in single conductor, but I have not seen or heard of it being available in many a year. Nice "chatting" with you!

Willy-N    Posted 03-04-2003 at 14:48:38       [Reply]  [No Email]
The single cable was the type I was talking about and this was a while ago when it was a problem with the inspectors. Also guys were tring to use scrap power company wire for between the meter and panel on service hook ups. May have been 20 years ago maybe more or less? Man I am getting old! Mark H.

Farmer Tom    Posted 03-04-2003 at 19:13:15       [Reply]  [No Email]
As an inspector, all I got to say is "been there, done that!" It was and still is a problem here. The bad thing is the DIY stores sell the stuff and we got to tell the DIY'rs "it ain't code!" I let you take it from there.

Jimbob    Posted 03-04-2003 at 18:11:24       [Reply]  [No Email]
I am not familiar with the local codes in your area, but suspect THHN or THWN would be fine. The THHN is oil & gasoline resistant with a nylon jacket. Wire usually has both THHN, then THWN rating. With such a short run, wire guage amperage derating should not be necessary.

Farmer Tom    Posted 03-04-2003 at 19:07:09       [Reply]  [No Email]
I agree, most of the conductors of the type you mention are dual rated -THHN-THWN. The key is the "W" for wet locations. THW, RHW, XHHW, etc, are all good for "wet" locations. The area here is central Ohio. For buildings of 4-family or larger and/or anything commercial here the Ohio Building Code adopts the current NEC, which is now the 2002 version (NFPA 70-2002). One, two and three-family dwellings is left up to the local jurisdiction (AHJ), however, most all that I know of follow the Ohio Building Code requirement.

slim    Posted 03-04-2003 at 12:26:19       [Reply]  [No Email]
Thanks very much. Always amazed at the knowledge on this board.


[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community