Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Anesthitizing chickens( putting em to sleep for surgery)
[Return to Topics]

Mike in NC    Posted 05-16-2003 at 17:42:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
One of my best hens was badly gouged by my rooster and I need to do surgery to sew her up. Any ideas out there on how to do it safely?

Dustin N. Blewett DVM-AC    Posted 05-18-2003 at 10:58:50       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Although superglue may be a good alternative to taking them to a veterinarian you may want to be careful. As a veterinary intern I can not even begin to tell you how many cases I have seen in my time regarding massive skin irritations and superglue. The best option is to actually take your pet to the vet. They use such drugs as TKX which can not be purchased over the counter. This mixture of drugs is actually a dissociate drug which completely anesthetize the animal. There are other methods of performing procedures that only use a tranquilizer but I donít think they will put the animal under deep enough to perform this type of procedure. If you have already used the superglue just make sure to watch for ANY signs of irritation and swelling. The animal will clearly show signs of any discomfort to the superglue that you will notice. If this occurs make sure you seek professional medical attention from a veterinarian. These prescription anesthesia methods are pretty safe and reliable. Hope this helps and is not too late!

Dell (WA)    Posted 05-16-2003 at 23:24:41       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Mike.........try "super glue", thats what I use when the sheepshearer cuts the tender skin of ewe being shorn. Otherwize, chicken soup?..........Dell

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community