Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

[Return to Topics]

Clod    Posted 06-09-2003 at 08:38:06       [Reply]  [No Email]
Notice how our gang tore into that electrical wireing job below?They came in like a swarm of mad hornets that got their nest kicked off the limb. I like to watch them go to work on these malfunctions on the farm. I learn a lot in the process along the way. So if you got a problem ,Just dump it here and set back and watch.Some know parts of the answer,some know all of the answers and some find answers to questions they didnt know they needed to know.I just learned from below that salmon go all the way to Vermont.

Clod    Posted 06-09-2003 at 08:54:12       [Reply]  [No Email]
Here is an answer that I am not sure of .My brother lived in the country.There was a water meter available but the engineering was not up to par in that area .(My opinion)The water tower was six miles away but the waterman said it was all downhill to my brothers.Eventhough I thought the pressure was low.I had land there too. But the supply line comeing from the meter was only 3/4 inch pipe.My brother wanted more volume/ pressure to his house so he tap on the 3/4 th inch pipe with 1 1/2 inch to run the forty feet to his house. I said if you have an orfice anywhere along a pipe of 1 1/2 ID and the orfice is 3/4 inch ID.You will only get the pressure and volume of that 3/4 ID restriction. Now I was not real sure of this theory but it sounded so good to me that I didnt mention the fact that I was not 100 percent positive I was working with facts. Camn anyone answer this.Just incase another person may spend extra on larger pipe to get better supply at the home. ???????

Willy-N    Posted 06-09-2003 at 17:50:27       [Reply]  [No Email]
Read this page it will explain it clearly. Mark H.

williamf    Posted 06-09-2003 at 14:35:32       [Reply]  [No Email]
You will not lose flow across an oriface to anything like the extent you will lose it from a length of smaller diameter line. Neither the oriface not the long small diameter line will cause a pressure drop as long as there is no flow; that is if the spigots are all turned off at the house the pressure will equalize at both ends of the pipe.

Increasing the diameter for the last forty feet after a six-mile run isn't going to help much, though.

One solution, if a small diameter pipe is already in place, is to install a sufficiently large surge tank at the house end. The pressure in the tank will build while there is no demand, and the expansion of the compressed air will maintain the pressure for some volume of water used.

Clod    Posted 06-09-2003 at 20:17:01       [Reply]  [No Email]
Ok,,I learned a bit here,But in the oil idustry they put various restrictors in places.The drill bits have changeable restrictors as do some flowing pipes.I dont really know why they do that,I am sapposed to but forgot.

williamf    Posted 06-10-2003 at 05:51:47       [Reply]  [No Email]
We use restrictors (oriface plates) in steam and water lines to limit flow. The engineers figure out the maximum flow they want, the range of pressure difference that the system will see, and put in the appropriately sized oriface.

Clod    Posted 06-10-2003 at 18:27:12       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yeah,,That sounds like what I forgot alright. My daddy spent a lot of money on my education.I forgot most of what I learned and hope I can be refunded by the educators for the loss.I dont know if they specified a five year/50,000 mile waranty.I forgot!

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community