Posted 06-16-2003 at 16:15:28
[Reply] [No Email]
Yeah I remember most of it. It would be easier and more simple to just buy a can of Mary War lye. That's what Ma Burr uses.
Use only hickory ash.
1. Find a clean plastic barrel or large plastic trash can, take the top off and drill a bunch of 1/8" holes in the bottom of ithe barrel so it will drain water out. You wont need any strainers over the drain holes if you don't make larger than that. If you want a strainer in it you can use a piece of cloth.
2. Put the barrel up on a stand high enough to put a drain pan under it.
3. Fill the barrel with the hickory ashes.
4. Put the drain pan under the barrel and put your ashes in.
5. Start pouring water on the ashes. Keep adding water as the ashes soak it up and water starts dripping thru.
Keep that up til you get the amount of water you want.
You can add glycerin and veggie oil to make it soap.
If you want it like the old timers made it just mix the lye water with real hawg lard and a little lime dust throwed in for texture.
Whatever you make it with just remember the brew will need to be put in molds and dried out to form bar soap.