Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Kitchen sink
[Return to Topics]

Bill in TN    Posted 06-17-2003 at 06:00:35       [Reply]  [No Email]
My kitchen sink has a metal pipe coming out of the sink. It attaches to a pvc "p" trap, with a threaded collar. From time to time, the trap works its way loose, the pipes seperate, and water runs all over the floor. I've reattached the durn thing several times over the past few years and can't get it to stay....short of glue, anyway to fix this?

RayP(MI)    Posted 06-17-2003 at 17:47:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
Put some silicone seal such as mechanics use on engines to form gaskets where the pipes mate, and on the threads. Works on metal or plastic. Can still break it loose if you need. (Like when momma drops hed diamond down the drain!) My favorite is "Ultra Blue".

Willy-N    Posted 06-17-2003 at 07:37:17       [Reply]  [No Email]
I had the same problem, I thought it was from the hot and cold water expanding and contracting the pipe. I made mine real tight than wraped a few turns of Electrical tape on the fitting and solved the problem, it dose not lossen up now. Mark H.

GABBY    Posted 06-17-2003 at 08:18:03       [Reply]  [No Email]
How to fix the pipes under the sinks in kitchen and bathroom.<>PERMANENTLY <> If you look at those flimsy little thin pipe drains under sinks you see they are nothing but a problem to keep you running to the hardware store to buy fittings, gaskets,sealers and tools.Most are not expensive But why do this repair if it is a bad system to start with?.Then you find there are mainly two sizes yet several connections have diffrent fits. But all need along the line there is a loop to hold water so the fumes do not come from the main line into you home.Then if two drains are above.(like the dual kitchen sink) you need a tee so you can turn the two drains into one for the pipe which runs on out to the main line.------So why not just avoid the problem of connection the standard way and improve it? Here is how to do just that. A radiator hose designed for automobiles last for years.It is designed to withstand above the water boiling point and above 16 pounds PSI .If you know the size of the ends you want to fit these hoses( MEASURE IT) to then you go to an auto supply place and find a partsman who knows how to look up exactly what size / lengths you want,They make so many that you can find the ones you want.The manufacturers have supplied a book to the guy for him to find any size/lengths.Then you just ask for the stainless steel hose clamps for the ends.------ So .In the case of the dual outlet kitchen sink you need a TEE to tie those two hoses together.You go to the pipe section of the hardware store and give the sizes of the drainpipe and two hoses that fit the bottom of the dual sink outlets.(In the bathroon there is only one.)Once you have installed this new set of connections just write down the parts numbers of the hoses so if you ever want to change them again. But you will not need to do that.That set of pipes will be there and not leaking for your lifetime.

Clod    Posted 06-17-2003 at 08:26:33       [Reply]  [No Email]
That one up there,(Gabby)is me..I just found this little problem too hard to resist.They have been selling this junk pipeing system since indoor plumbing came out. You would think that in the USA somebody would try to improve upon this shoddy way of doing things but after 80 years they still stick it to the consumers who will buy the junk they offer.

Cindi    Posted 06-17-2003 at 12:18:05       [Reply]  [No Email]
"I just found this little problem too hard to resist"

I'm glad :)

Red Dave    Posted 06-17-2003 at 06:53:50       [Reply]  [No Email]
I seem to remember a plastic or rubber washer in those connections. Is yours missing? If it's rubber, maybe it is dried out and needs a new one.

Maggie/TX    Posted 06-17-2003 at 06:11:20       [Reply]  [No Email]
I believe you can get this white, plastic kind of "tape" that is stretchy and I can't think what you call it. I know the guy who installed our water heater used it. It will help the pipes stay screwed together water tight. If the pipes you are putting together are neither one plastic I know you use Plumber's Putty. Got a couple containers of that around here and I went and looked to see the name of it. I would go to a local hardware store and find someone to ask what to use. They usually know just the stuff if you explain what you're trying to do. Good luck!

teflon thread tape!    Posted 06-17-2003 at 06:17:43       [Reply]  [No Email]
great stuff for everything that's threaded, 'bout a buck for a roll. Ranks right up there with duct tape and shoe goo for fixing what's broke.

Tom A

Maggie/TX...Yes, that's i    Posted 06-17-2003 at 08:02:12       [Reply]  [No Email]
Thanks you Tom for the name of the stuff I was trying to think of. I hate it when I know something but can't find where I filed the info in my brain. Happens more and more over the years. LOL!

Clipper    Posted 06-17-2003 at 06:04:11       [Reply]  [No Email]
You can replace the metal part from the sink with a pvc pipe as well.Alignment of these parts together is critical to prevent leakage so take your time on the measuring/cutting of components. Homer Depot carries everthing you'll need to get the job done right.

Dave    Posted 06-17-2003 at 06:18:37       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Or replace the plastic pipe with more plastic. Correctly aligning the pipe should fix the problem. Watch what you bash the pipe with.

Cindi    Posted 06-17-2003 at 06:14:51       [Reply]  [No Email]
Maggie, that's pipe thread tape you're thinking of. White, plastic, kinda looks like white med tape only thinner?

Clipper    Posted 06-17-2003 at 06:17:56       [Reply]  [No Email]
Also known as Teflon Tape.Don't think it will fix the problem and neither will Plumber's putty.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community