Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Wheel hoes anyone?
[Return to Topics]

Tom A    Posted 06-24-2003 at 03:13:47       [Reply]  [No Email]
I was introduced to the "wheel hoe" about 3 or 4 years back by my old retired farmer friend. He bought me an ancient high wheel cultivator at auction and told me to try it. I've since also bought an old "Planet jr." low-wheel cultivator.

What neat tools! Since I got them, I almost never get out the tiller for the garden anymore...just for breaking new ground. I plant and cultivate the garden with the wheel hoes, and it isn't near as hard as fighting the rototiller, they're easier to get out to the garden, and a whole lot quieter and more pleasant to use.

Anybody else still use them, or thought of trying them?


bill b va    Posted 06-24-2003 at 10:43:53       [Reply]  [No Email]

not sure what you are recalling wheel hoe . i have what we call a push plow . one big wheel in the front nearly as big as a biycicle wheel two plow handles like what was on old horse pulled plows . either the plow point or cultivator is mounted just behind the wheel. the plow is pushed along by the handles . ( shove plow forward step forward all in one continious motion .)i was introduced to one at about age 8 or 9 by my dad so i could work the garden. no rotortillers in the early fortys .

yep, push plow = wheel ho    Posted 06-24-2003 at 11:32:25       [Reply]  [No Email]
Maybe what you call them depends on where in the country you are. My neighbors call 'em push plows, too, but the owners manual for the Planet Jr. calls it a wheel hoe.

Mine has plowshares (like on a tractor but smaller), cultivator, weeder sweeps, and various chisel points for planting. Looked like too hard work, so I just used a rototiller for years. But I really like these better.


Salmoneye    Posted 06-24-2003 at 04:11:04       [Reply]  [No Email]
My dad still has and uses two...

One has a 'hoe'...The other has tines and looks like a potato fork...Uses it for cultivating...

Clod    Posted 06-24-2003 at 11:04:37       [Reply]  [No Email]
Is this a thing that has a handle like a hoe but a giant spur that rolls when you push the handle?I only saw one at a friends house awhile back.He was doing as much work with the handle as he would with a hoe.I'm thinking a motor would be useful here.(Blackland mud)

Clod    Posted 06-24-2003 at 19:01:03       [Reply]  [No Email]

For those who wonder >> This was what they were talking about.(see photo)I like to be the last on the row so I can keep you informed on the subjects..Often I do a search and find out just exactly what the item is in the post above me.So if you are in doubt..Look for me at the bottom.Im most often down here.Mainly because most like it up at the top.Where the cream is,,,,,,

way to go, Clod    Posted 06-25-2003 at 06:22:57       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yep, that is one of them. That type is called a "high wheel" push plow, cuz of the big wheel in front. I think that is probably the most common.

My other one is called a "low wheel" cuz it has a smaller wheel in front and the handles attach much lower to whatever the tool you're using is...can ya find a pic of that one? Mine was made by Planet Jr sometime in the 30s, I believe. It is a Model 18 and you can attach cultivator forks, right or left turn plows, and all kinds of other toys. It was considered the top of the line in its day, as it is easier to push and maneuver but cost a fortune way back when.


Clod    Posted 06-25-2003 at 10:27:22       [Reply]  [No Email]
I had to keep watching to fgure out what this was,I think we used to call it a hand plow.But if you look ,You might find that you could turn the plow blade around and hook the handles to a motorcycle.Those things are great exercise machines if you use them as they were intended.But internal combustion engines can be a blessing in blackland mud.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community