Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Water Well Pressure Tank???
[Return to Topics]

Gyp-Wy    Posted 07-05-2003 at 07:34:15       [Reply]  [No Email]
Woke up 4th of July with a bang or should I say a flood!!! Basement was flooded and when I got it pumped out I found the leak. It was at the bottom of the pressure tank, there is a 1-1/4" galvanized 90 and it had a hole in it!! At least I didn't have to find a new pressure tank on the 4th, that would have been next to impossible around here. The co-op had the necessary parts, even rented a pump there. My questions: How does a pressure tank work? There was still water in the tank that I could not get out, is that normal? It would have been a lot easier to handle without the water. Hope your 4th was drier than mine.

Ron/PA    Posted 07-05-2003 at 09:24:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
GYP, The most common types now have a bladder inside them, filled with air. The air bladder expands and contratcts to maintain the pressure in the tank, causing your pump to cycle less often.
If you have drained the tank, and you still have water in there, you probably have a hole in the bladder, letting it fill with water. This renders your tank worthless, and means you may have to find a new tank on the 5th of July.

gyp-wy    Posted 07-05-2003 at 10:46:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
Ron, How can you determine if the bladder does have a hole in it? Is there a trick to draining the tank or do you just open the faucet coming off the tee of the tank? When I took the 90 off the bottom there was something rubber in the tank, I assume this was the bladder, but I did not get too aggressive inspecting it because I did not want to do anymore damage. It is working now, knock on wood, but I am curious about how to know if it could be working better.

Clod    Posted 07-05-2003 at 08:42:58       [Reply]  [No Email]
The simple ones most often seen here? The top section has air because water is almost incompressable.The air at the top of tank is the reason you get the 30-40 PSI at your kitchen sink faucet. So There shold be a pipe plug up within maybe a foot from top of tank,Thats water height,WORK HERE!

cappy    Posted 07-05-2003 at 14:00:59       [Reply]  [Send Email]
There is a valve stem on top of the tank, if it's a bladder tank, take a little screwdriver or what ever you got and let some of the air out. If there is water with the air then the bladder is busted, you'll have to go get you another one. Take care.

Clod    Posted 07-05-2003 at 19:03:34       [Reply]  [No Email]
Do you pump air in like a car tire? What if you let water out then check air pressure with a guage? Can anyone tell more here ? The ones I have own only used the top foot of tank to compress air in the tank that was there by atmospheric pressure.Someone update me on this new tank.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community