Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Poison ivy
[Return to Topics]

Corey    Posted 07-07-2003 at 21:13:44       [Reply]  [No Email]
anybody got a good home remedy for poison ivy?


Blue Duck    Posted 07-08-2003 at 14:47:32       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Ive heard that if you have plantain (not the banana kind) growing around, either broad leaf or narrow leaf, pick some, mash into a poultice and rub on the inflicted area. I try to be careful and not get too close to the stuff... or maybe just have an imunity. I would like to know if this actually works.


screaminghollow    Posted 07-08-2003 at 11:31:13       [Reply]  [No Email]
When I was a about 7 years old I heard about the indians eating very young poison ivy shoots in the spring to develope an immunity. Being little and stupid, I tried it. Don't know if it worked or I naturally have an immunity. I get a small spot or two now or then, but I can pull the stuff out with my bear hands and not get it.
That being said, here are some things I've done with my kids and wife, who get miserable cases of poison ivy. One, before going out to work around it or pick berries, take a bar of soap or a few drops of dish detergent and coat your exposed limbs with the soap, as soon as your done wash it off. I read that the thing that creates the rash is in the oil on the leaves. The soap helps break down the oil before it contacts the skin. Not a sure cure but helpful
Take "Rhus Tox" available at health food stores. one $6.00 bottle will last half a season. It is pills with a minute amount of poison ivy in them. Supposedly it will help build an immunity. My wife says that it doesn't keep her from getting it, but once she has it, the pills take the edge off the itch.
Get some goats, they love poison ivy and will eat just about all of it back continuously until it dies. If you know someone with milking goats, make sure the nanny has some poison ivy in her diet and drink the raw milk. Goat milk from does fed poison ivy in their diet is supposed to help build an immunity and take the edge off the itch once you got it. Of course handling the goats that have been through poison ivy is sure to give it to you if you get it.
Some folks found that a mild bleach solution on a wet compress helps. Others say a very very hot wet compress will kill the itch for a period of time, maybe a half hour to an hour.
An old time remdy, put hydrogen peroxide on the rash and then scrape with a wooden popsicle stick until the blisters break, pour more hydrogen peroxide on it again, pat it dry and follow with an astringent like a styptic pencil (if you can find one) or powdered alum. I've seen older relatives do this and it looked too painful for my taste.
If you're the type that spreads it from one spot of rash to other parts of the body, I've heard that coating the rash with vaseline or baby oil helps prevent spreading.


Richard C    Posted 07-08-2003 at 07:16:38       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I dont know how to get rid of it once you've got it. But if you have been working around it don't touch anything! When you get to the house take off all your colthes and wash them immediately, then wash up. The times that I get it is when I never see it in the first place. All I know is, it sucks and is one of the most miserable experiences one can go through. Makes me itch just talking about it

Richard C


Lenore    Posted 07-08-2003 at 06:45:51       [Reply]  [No Email]
Bless your heart; or whoever is the victem.
The best thing I know of is AVOID IT!!!
I have it growing all in my fence with my climbing roses. The neighbor on the other side does not do any maintenance. So every time I try to trim or tie my roses I am right in the big middle of it.

I have found a product called:
Oak-n-Ivy Tecnu.
If I think I have touched it I immediatly come and wash my hands, face, arms with it. If I start to break out, I also use it. It really helps shorten the suffering. There are instructions on how to use it before or after exposure. My poison ivy dried up faster and itched less than other times.


Salmoneye    Posted 07-08-2003 at 04:45:34       [Reply]  [No Email]
Sweetfern...See the link below...

Make a 'tea' out of the leaves and stems...Dry a bunch and hang it in your closet for when you need it...The tea can be kept in the fridge in a mason jar for weeks...

Dab it on the affected area with a soaked cotton ball, or do like I do and pour it on yourself in the shower...

When you crush the dried leaves and toss them in the wtaer, there is a smell that immediately makes me feel better and at peace...

Amazing stuff, I tell you what...


Ivey    Posted 07-07-2003 at 21:22:20       [Reply]  [No Email]
Jewel weed


Corey    Posted 07-07-2003 at 21:31:20       [Reply]  [No Email]
Ivey, 'preciate your response, but how do I identify jewel weed and does it grow in my area, central Oklahoma?


rhouston    Posted 07-08-2003 at 07:57:52       [Reply]  [No Email]
Jewelweed is what we call poppers. you know the stuff it grows around streams and water. has small orange flowers and when the seed pods get fat they pop when you touch them.


Ivey    Posted 07-07-2003 at 21:36:30       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yup, you can find it growing near water. Search at google images for jewelweed (one word), should be a pic there. You can also use any Impatiens flower,(touch-me-nots) that's the "tame" form of jewelweed. Just squeeze the juice out of a stem, like you would aloe.


Corey    Posted 07-07-2003 at 21:39:23       [Reply]  [No Email]
thank you very much, I will certainly try it. Grace and Peace, Corey


Stan ETenn    Posted 07-08-2003 at 06:12:29       [Reply]  [Send Email]
My dad(85) says his dad would dig poke(spell?)root and brew it and daub or rub on. Seems like he said it kind of burned. Luck


Clod    Posted 07-08-2003 at 14:32:58       [Reply]  [No Email]
I dont know the cure.I have not had the problem.We played in poison ivy all the time.The city kids would get it bad.


Terry    Posted 08-18-2004 at 21:00:31       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Poison Ivy, Well not sure where I heard this, it works for me and I get mega bad reactions from poison ivy and have tried everything at the drug store over the counter. Every year I get it and had to resort to steroid pills. Anyways if you know you have it and start to itch find a common milkweed plant, break off a branch and put some of the white sticky stuff on the infected area. The itching stops as soon as it goes on and I'm not kidding, less than 5 seconds. Just an idea I have used for years and has always worked. I'm not a doctor.

Terry


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community