Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Poison ivy immunity
[Return to Topics]

Kat in NJ    Posted 08-26-2003 at 18:33:56       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Okay, it took longer to find this that I initially thought!

In Euell Gibbons' Stalking the Wild Asparagus, he wrote how a person could build up immunity to poison ivy. When the first tiny leaflets appear in the spring, pull off three tiny newly opened leaflets and eat them. The next day take three more, and continue this daily dose every day for three weeks. At the end of the third week, "one should be able to eat three full-sized leaflets without suffering any harm."

Gibbons claimed that he followed this regime each spring and hadn't been bothered by the plant. He does caution that the effects of poison ivy vary from person to person, and didn't feel the remedy could be safely recommended for general use until further experiments were made.

He also writes that goats love poison ivy and that regularly drinking the milk of goats which have fed on the plant will help build up immunity.

I haven't tried either, but did try the natural poison ivy itch remedy -- jewelweed, which does work. This is the genus impatien plant that grows near ponds and has yellow-orange trumpet shaped flowers. The juice from the stalk will take the itch out of poison ivy.

Kat in NJ


bill    Posted 12-20-2005 at 13:02:25       [Reply]  [No Email]
Rhus Tox does absolutely nothing to relieve a poison ivy rash. I had it a few weeks ago and went through several vials to no effect. I itched and oozed for three weeks. I did experience one unexpected benefit of the Rhus Tox. My chronic low back pain of several years is gone. That alone is worth the expense.


phyllis    Posted 08-27-2003 at 10:04:11       [Reply]  [No Email]
No way, would I eat any poison ivy!! For some reason, all three of us are apparantly not allergic to it - naturally, not by a pill or method. My husband actually ate some (sometimes I think he gets brainlock), and it did nothing. This was before I met him, and he still handles it when cleaning the yard area and it doesn't affect him at all. My son - unknown to me - rubbed a bunch all over his arms to 'see' if he was allergic. Again - no reaction. If I'd known he did that, he would've had a reaction on his backside, LOL. Also, at another place we lived, I always decorated some bushes with Christmas lights. There was poison ivy all over them and around them. I didn't realize it, but it never affected me either. Go figure.


max    Posted 08-27-2003 at 09:30:37       [Reply]  [No Email]
Kat
My goats ate every last poison ivy leaf and vine that they could reach off my pasture fence. Only left them out there about three days.


Tom A    Posted 08-27-2003 at 04:11:24       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'm gonna guess that if it were that easy, one of the drug companies would have put the stuff into a pill, hawked it on tv (that little green pill) and charged a hundred dollars a pill...as many folks as there are with poison ivy allergies, they'd make a gazillion.

tom


Ana    Posted 08-27-2003 at 07:53:02       [Reply]  [No Email]
I used to work in a physician's office that would give shots in a series of three shots to build up resistance to poison ivy to those who got it extremely bad. The first year you took these three shots (don't know what was in them), then each year after you only needed a single booster shot. The patients told us that they "helped" to reduce the reaction but they still got some reaction to it. Of course the best treatment is to recognize the plant and stay away from it. I wash thoroughly after exposure, throw my clothes straight into the washer and WASH them immediately. BTW, my goats won't eat poison ivy.


Gary Bolton    Posted 02-12-2004 at 16:49:35       [Reply]  [Send Email]
The shots Ana was referring to were a Rhus Tox homeopathic injection. It is no longer available commercially but can be prepared by a compounding pharmacist who is trained in sterile product preparation. However, there is no need for the injection because an oral solution of the same product is just as effective and it also can be prepared by a compounding pharmacist. Information on that product is available at the following link url.


*sigh*    Posted 08-27-2003 at 04:22:05       [Reply]  [No Email]
Like I posted in the last PI thread...

There ARE pills and have been for a loooonnnngggg time...

Be sure to read the 'More Information' page...

Salmoneye


aww don't get frustrated    Posted 08-27-2003 at 06:56:56       [Reply]  [No Email]
with me, Salmoneye! I didn't read the last thread...have recently changed jobs and have much less time to go thru threads than I used to.

I'm aware of and believe in homeopathic meds, and in fact use one for bee stings at the start of the beekeeping season.

*But* despite the claim in the article, the FDA doesn't license homeopathic drugs, at least not the same way they do "real" drugs. They're treated by FDA and drug companies more akin to the food supplements: as long as nobody gets hurt then FDA looks the other way. There is no "real scientific" proof of their effectiveness, at least nothing that the drug research guys recognize as such.

So, I'll keep my view: if any of the big drug companies believed such a drug could be scientifically proven to work, they would actually license them thru the FDA and market them in the same way they do other drugs...and make a gazillion!

tom a


Not frustrated...    Posted 08-27-2003 at 10:05:07       [Reply]  [No Email]
But in that other thread I also pointed out that the FDA is not the be-all and end-all of medical knowledge in the world...Just cuz the FDA approves something does not mean that it is the the best thing since sliced bread...There have been many (and I do mean many) things/drugs that the FDA has 'approved' and then eaten crow on when they had to later pull them...

As for 'homeopathy', some works...Some doesn't...

I just happen to have some first-hand experience with 'acquired immunity' and have no doubt that the theory is sound...

Salmoneye the Un-Frustrated ;-)



Swamphandy    Posted 08-26-2003 at 19:50:07       [Reply]  [No Email]
Is this Gibbons guy still alive by chance?


Les    Posted 08-27-2003 at 02:54:25       [Reply]  [No Email]
He's been daid fer a LONNNNNGGG time.


Yah but...    Posted 08-27-2003 at 03:49:43       [Reply]  [No Email]
He died of a heart attack in 1975 at the age of 64...In addition to his knowledge of natural and wild foods he smoked up to 3 packs a day, and drank up to a quart of whiskey...

Salmoneye


Hal/WA    Posted 08-27-2003 at 14:35:47       [Reply]  [No Email]
I actually met Mr. Gibbons when he gave a lecture at the college I was attending. He was a very interesting person to listen to and a bit of a folk hero of the time. I was around him for at least 2 hours and he never took a cigarette break and sure didn't smell like he had been drinking. I remember hearing that he died, but don't remember just when it was. Where did you hear that he was a heavy smoker and drinker?


Salmoneye    Posted 08-28-2003 at 03:54:04       [Reply]  [No Email]
On the three or four internet 'biographies' I read after this thread started, of course...

So it must be true ;-)

Salmoneye


Maggie/Tx    Posted 08-26-2003 at 20:45:53       [Reply]  [No Email]
I don't think so. I think I heard he died from something he ate. ;)


C Kulig    Posted 08-27-2003 at 04:54:41       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yep, I heard it was some old grape jelly.

I wonder how that guy is doing?


ret    Posted 08-27-2003 at 08:33:33       [Reply]  [No Email]
Hey, I am the one that had the jar of 25 year old jelly, finished it off last week.Wish now I would have saved it for another five years. Just goes to show if done right, any kind of canned goods with a lot of sugar in them will last. Was meaning to mention I was still alive


C Kulig    Posted 08-27-2003 at 11:53:35       [Reply]  [No Email]
Glad to here you're OK. I'm a little more leary of stuff like that!


Ron,Ar    Posted 08-26-2003 at 19:34:17       [Reply]  [No Email]
Isn't that the guy that ate pine cones for lunch?


Maggie/Tx    Posted 08-26-2003 at 20:47:09       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yes, the same one.


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community