Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Toad stools
[Return to Topics]

HaySam    Posted 09-05-2003 at 09:49:36       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Are Toad stools good to eat?


ATW/WA    Posted 09-05-2003 at 16:56:44       [Reply]  [Send Email]

Sam,

Not all mushroom taste or smell appetizing, see post about the stinkhorns posted a couple of weeks ago.

Not all mushrooms have a texture lending them to be edible, either as hard as wood, or the consistency of slobber from a cow's lip.

Not all mushrooms are of sufficient size to be considered for a meal.

Many mushrooms are reported to have adverse affects in some people and not in others, same as with poison ivy. So far poison ivy has not affected me and I have consumed some mushrooms that other people have reported ill effects from.

Some mushrooms have potentially severe effects on the metabolic system, ranging from mental clarity affecting all senses of the body(psychoactive), to fatalities reported every year.

Of those mshrooms that cause fatalities, not all of them must be consumed. There are mushrooms that have been consumed with no ill effects at all, however the cook did expire shortly after preparing the meal without consuming any of the mushrooms. Oh BTW the active toxin, Monomethylhydrazine (MMH), has a very narrow threshold between no effects at all and acute poisoning or death. MMH is also reported to be carcinogenic, it is utilized as a rocket fuel and it is highly volatile therefore, when cooking, do not inhale the fumes.

Of those that cause fatalities, not all are immediate, some leave the consumer in a lingering miserable suffering, death would be merciful, condition for up to several weeks. At this time, there is no known treatment; the only medical intervention is to lessen the suffering of the individual.

There are reportedly some herbal remedies (European research), if taken in advance will prevent some toxins from affecting the individual, and if taken after are reported to minimize the effects of the toxins. I prefer avoidance, of some substances.

Not all mushroom toxins are deadly, or poisonous by themselves, some mushrooms are noted to contain disulfram like compounds, which react with alcohol in the body to produce acetaldehyde. Which produces symptoms similar to individuals taking Antibuse who consume alcohol.

Not all mushrooms are hard to identify, some have unique characteristics, and they have no know look alike, such features as green glow in the dark gills and mycelium.

Not all fungi need be feared, many antibiotics were derived from fungus, Penicillin being one of the earliest. Some are garden co-companions either having a symbiotic relationship with desirable plants, or a predatory relationship with garden enemies(nematodes, Japanese Beatles, other grubs).

Not all mushrooms must be consumed to enjoy them. Some are utilized for dyeing wool and plant fibers, some for making items of clothes, others to bait and poison flies. Some are just a beauty to behold the same as butterflies, birds, orchids and flowers.

There are some mushrooms that are edible and actively sought by Mycophiles.
Always be sure of your identification, utilize more than one field guide as reference when identifying mushrooms, due to seasonal, regional, climatic variations, different books may present different key identifying chacteristics.

I have posted some photos on the kountrylife photo board, use them for familizaration, true mushroom identification goes way beyound a photo.

Join a local chapter of the Mycological Society ie. http://www.mssf.org/index.html

Some of the books I use and recommend are:

"Mushrooms Demystified" by David Arora
"All That the Rain Promises and More..." by David Arora

"The Autubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms" published by Knopf

"The Fifth Kingdom" by Bryce Kendrick

"The Mushroom Cultivator" by Paul Stamets
"Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms" by Paul Stamets
"Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" by Paul Stamets

"Growing Wild Mushrooms" by Bob Harris


Alex... not just a Mycologist, but a Mycophile and a Mycophagist too...


Salmoneye    Posted 09-06-2003 at 02:40:08       [Reply]  [No Email]
It's Shaggy Mane Season!...It's Shaggy Mane Season!...It's Shaggy Mane Season!...

WooHoo!

Mmmmmmm...

PS.....Extremely well written post and excellent advice!


Coprinus comatus    Posted 09-06-2003 at 09:23:22       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Morning delight, to camp where they grow within sight. Saute' in butter, scrambled with eggs...
UUUUUuuuuMMMMMMmmmmmm.

Just before deer season, time to go scouting!!!!

Did you check the photos I posted on the photo board?

Well, I can put shaggy mane as one of three fall 'shrooms Salmoneye hunts.

A lot of people do not understand the lure of 'shrooming. Thanks to scouts, and Morels, I got started young and correctly with books in hand.

Trying to start some Morels at the cabin, could have used more rain this year. Will see next spring, or the following spring....

Alex




Salmoneye    Posted 09-06-2003 at 11:33:08       [Reply]  [No Email]
I don't have to 'hunt' Shaggys...All I have to do is walk the Girl to the bus in the AM and bring em back to the house with me...

Never done them with eggs...I like to saute and then remove em from the pan...Fry up a piece of steak, and then thake that out and re-add the mushrooms to the pan...Then I make drippings+Shaggy gravy to go over the taters in the other pan...

Mmmm...Great...Now I am hungry...


ATW/WA    Posted 09-07-2003 at 00:45:10       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I was able to start two patches of shaggy's. One at my neighbor's and another at a friend's on the otherside of town. Both cases they had well established trees for shade and natural pine sawdust & chip bedding under shrubs.

Otherwise, I have to head up to the Cascades' or the Blue mtn's. Which I normally would do anyhow to scout for deer/elk season.

Guess I'll have to cook steak for breakfast, OK you talked me into it...

Alex


ol Henry    Posted 09-05-2003 at 11:15:11       [Reply]  [No Email]
Any mushroom can be eaten, however some can only be eaten once.


Maggie/Tx    Posted 09-05-2003 at 09:52:35       [Reply]  [No Email]
NO! Not for people anyway. I've seen squirrels eat them but then I've seen squirrels eat lots of things I wouldn't. I think you've pretty much got to get a mushroom guide book and make double doggone sure of what you pick wild to eat, 'cause some of that stuff out there can kill ya.


I don't know about you...    Posted 09-05-2003 at 09:51:21       [Reply]  [No Email]
But I don't think any animals stools are fit for human consumption...


But seriously folks...    Posted 09-05-2003 at 09:54:27       [Reply]  [No Email]
Don't go willy-nilly eating any mushroom without knowing EXACTLY what it is...

The term 'toad-stool' can mean almost anything...

If you want a good book, pick up a copy of the Audobon Field Guide To Mushrooms...Lots of good pics and descriptions, and then I would still be VERY careful with an unknown mushroom...I know 3 that can not be mistaken (famous last words) that I pick and eat in the fall...

Salmoneye, The Mycologist


Les    Posted 09-05-2003 at 09:58:07       [Reply]  [No Email]
Is that anything like a groinicologist?
Watch our for them picnidia.


Picnidia?    Posted 09-05-2003 at 09:59:38       [Reply]  [No Email]
Thought that was what Screaminhollow had from being nit-picked to death by The Wife...

;-)

Salmoneye, Who Ducks Fast


Hmmmm    Posted 09-05-2003 at 11:32:24       [Reply]  [No Email]
Maybe I spelled it wrong. Only been 35 years since I took that course.
Les (who just don't know when to keep his mouth shut sometimes).


I think...    Posted 09-05-2003 at 12:03:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
The first 'I' should be a 'Y'...

But I am often wrong...

Salmoneye, Who Has A Wife That Loves To Point Out His Errors



[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community