Posted 09-23-2003 at 09:06:35
[Reply] [No Email]
I tore one of these down last year on some property I bought.
1) loosen all the steel bands along the bottom, as high up as you can reach.
2) Starting at a doorway, go over about 4-5 feet and pound a hole through one of the blocks.
3) take a LONG log chain and put it through the hole, bring it back out the door, and hook it on itself.
4) Pull out the section of blocks with a tractor or a truck. I used my pickup truck.
5) after you pull a section out, make another hole 4-5 feet over and pull it out.
I had to get a little over half way around the base of it before the whole silo dropped, and it fell in a neat little heap.
Be sure you use a real long chain so you, your truck, and everything else are well out of the drop zone when you are doing this.