Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

State needs money?
[Return to Topics]

rhudson    Posted 10-13-2003 at 17:48:11       [Reply]  [Send Email]
you think you have problems, i just got a notice (a bill really) from state of virginia saying i did not pay my 1990 through 1993 taxes. my cpa has shreaded their records and i'm already neck deep in books and papers. i don't know if i'll ever find my records. my cpa says the state is broke and is trying to find money anyway they can. i know (think) my problem is because my income is from North carolina and i have to file a credit for taxes paid to another state. it seems va does not like that because many years i have been asked to send in duplicate credit forms to virginia. they keep saying i failed to send va the forms. i know this is not true. anyone else having trouble like this? Thanks for listening.

Brian-2N    Posted 10-14-2003 at 09:24:10       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Maggie is right. You only need to maintain records for 7 years. Tell them to eat sh*t, bark at the moon, and die. If they keep it up, get a lawyer.

seen it happen    Posted 10-14-2003 at 06:10:41       [Reply]  [No Email]
with some soldiers here in MD. MD gets a report from the Feds about where incometax refund checks get mailed to. Then MD threatens the soldier with unclaimed in-state income. I know in my own case, I used to use my parent's address for tax refund checks whenever I was moving from one duty station to another so that the check didn't get lost trying to follow me around the world.

I *always* got a threatening letter from MD, and it *always* took a couple of phone calls and certified letters back to get them to back off.

Good luck!
Tom A

Willy-N    Posted 10-13-2003 at 21:49:43       [Reply]  [No Email]
For 4 years now the IRS has been sending us a bill for a little over 450.00 saying we owe it because we can't use a building for a deduction! Every year we pay our CPA to prove we can and they drag it out for a while then say it's correct you can deduct it. Problem is it costs us around 250.00 to the CPA to file the forms to get it done. You would think they would remember after so many years of pulling this on us! Starting to realy get mad over it because we have spent a extra 1,000.00 over the last 4 years telling them they are wrong just to get our money they hold back! Mark H.

buck    Posted 10-13-2003 at 21:19:07       [Reply]  [No Email]

On the radio a few days ago I herd that VA. is planning an addition to the south side of the capital building and in this addition one of the main things will be a reaturant. Now just how many resturants and eating establishments have closed in and around capital square in recent years. Sure the bottom and slip are doing good but who comes off thinking that the taxpayer should pay for the never ending excesses in Rtown.Just my vent.

Maggie/Tx    Posted 10-13-2003 at 20:46:26       [Reply]  [No Email]
I don't know about state, but I've heard that with the IRS you only have to save back for 7 years worth of paperwork, AT MOST. Rhudson, I think your state is full of bull$&%!. I think if it happened to me, I'd tell 'em to prove it first. Good luck!

Les    Posted 10-13-2003 at 19:01:40       [Reply]  [No Email]
That's one thing I've never had to worry about here in Upper Cow Hampshah, where we have NO general sales tax and NO state income tax.

hay    Posted 10-14-2003 at 03:10:33       [Reply]  [No Email]
we ain't got the state income tax......yet, but sure as heck got the general sales tax. welcome to, i mean welcome to Taxes.

Jailkeeper    Posted 10-13-2003 at 20:34:16       [Reply]  [No Email]
How does your state get their money without sales or income tax? You must have high fees for everthing else I guess??

Here in Il. we get taxed on everthing and the new Guv. is raising fees on everthing he can think of. I'm a state employee and I'm all for everyone paying their fair share, but it's getting ridiculous.

Les    Posted 10-14-2003 at 02:29:03       [Reply]  [No Email]
It's called "living within your means" and not falling for every cockamamie idea that comes down the pike. How did all the other states manage before somebody had the brilliant idea to tax everything? The same way that we have been doing it all along. And we just never swallowed it like a good little bunch of zombies.

Brian-2N    Posted 10-14-2003 at 09:20:48       [Reply]  [Send Email]
It also helps that we charge a toll to all the yahoos from Taxachusetts headed to the coast here or in Maine. Meals and room tax is also a hefty 8%.
Welcome to New Hampshire-now leave your money and go home!

deadcarp    Posted 10-13-2003 at 18:52:48       [Reply]  [No Email]
either they're pulling your leg or it's some sorta scam - tell those wetsops they're way past the statute of limitations unless you had foreign income :)

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community